1/72 Airfix B-26B Marauder

Started by Greg Kittinger · 12 · 7 years ago · 1/72, b-26, group build, marauder, Midway
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 3 months ago:

I was a bit baffled when I saw Louis' reference to B-26's being involved in Midway, so did a quick Google on the topic and found out that 4 Marauders carried out a torpedo attack during the fight, two of which did not return. I've been wanting to do a B-26 for awhile as I really enjoy twin-engine bombers, so this group build was the incentive I needed to pull this out of the stash and get moving. I had 2 Marauders in the stash, both Airfix, and I've got an Airfix Devastator as well that can provide the torpedo, so the only scratch building I imagine I'll have to do is the torpedo mount and probably some detail in the bombardier's compartment (I haven't looked at the kit yet, but knowing the age of the kit, I'm guessing...). A quick look on ebay provided a set of Starfighter Decals for Susie-Q, one of the two surviving Midway attackers. Order placed!

I Posted a couple of artistic renderings of the attacking Marauders. Turns out Susie-Q ran down the length of Vice Admiral Nagumo's flagship carrier Akagi in an attempt to avoid anti-aircraft and fighter fire.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 3 months ago:

Excellent choice Greg !

The paintings are great too. The first one showing "Suzy Q" buzzing the deck of the Akagi with the deck crew scrambling for cover is my favorite.

Welcome aboard !

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 7 years, 3 months ago:

Check your kit, Greg. Susie-Q was a short wing early B-model with the "stinger" tail and if I remember correctly, the Airfix kit is a later version with the longer wings and the more rounded tail gun position. The old Monogram snap tite kit represents these earlier airplanes quite well. Correct me if I'm wrong!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 3 months ago:

I'm working on this kit now but an ETO bird, something I started a year ago so it is an on going project. Despite it's age, it is rather detailed kit for this scale though you can tell the age compared to the Hasegawa kit. Though it may not be the correct version for your project Greg, you can still if you wish use it to represent a B-26.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Sounds like an interesting project, Greg. The good old Airfix kit will be a great base for it.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Greg,

Either the Monogram or the Hasegawa kit would work, as long as you're the one happy with the end results. It's a hobby and we are all here to have fun, while we honor the men who participated in this historically significant event.

Personally I don't consider myself a "rivet counter". If your Marauder has the bigger wings, and you're happy, then so be it.

I'm sure that most everyone here will agree.

I'm very pleased that you have decided to join our little group...

We will be looking forward to updates. I think it's a great subject.

Sincerely,
    Louis

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 2 months ago:

I wondered if the Midway birds were "early version" 26's with the shorter wings, etc. It appears they were. I can't find a Monogram snaptite online - and from what I can tell of reviews of the Valom A-model, their kits have some shape issues. However, I assume the Valom B (early version) would mean it is the correct wing/tail dimensions. If that's the case, it would probably make a better representation of a Midway 26. Any thoughts?

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Hey, Greg. Back when I was researching this project IIRC 2 Midway '26's were straight B-26's, short wing, weird tail position, etc. from the 22nd BG on their way to New Guinea and 2 were brand-new B-26B's from the west coast. Typical of the hodge-podge thrown together on the Island in desperation. Any way "Susie-Q" which I wanted to do was a straight B-26 and Valom had a fairly new kit of it. It was crucified by the critics, mainly because the nacelles were shaped badly. But I built it anyway and stole the torpedo from the Airfix TBD as you plan to. Some folks sent me details of the mount, and I found a pic of the crew holding up the skinning with "Susie-Q" on it, cut off the wrecked Marauder. I hand painted the Susie Q and found decals for the rest, It came out OK. The 26 looks real good with a "torpecker" under it.

I will put up a post with the model and try to find the file with the torpedo mount details for you. Just build the Valom and give it some love. Just don't look at the nacelles too hard. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Bill, I know that the 22nd Bombardment left Langley the day after Pearl Harbor, and flew to the West Coast, thence to combat in New Guinea. I wasn't aware of the Bs that got there, that's interesting. That early tail position is tough to duplicate. Real different from what came after .
    Early on, it was such a radical ship some folks called it the "Martin Martian" 'cause it was so alien. Didn't look like a B-18.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

The Monogram early one is a snap fit, came out with a B-25. Not much to it, but it can be upgraded. It needs a cockpit. I've never seen any comment on how it looks shapewise, or I've forgotten, it was a while ago. I did think it was a great idea, all we had then was the Revell ("Flak Bait"- great box art in the initial issue) and the Airfix. Both were Bs.

The 22nd flew theirs long enough to strip them down to NM, I think eventually they transitioned to the B-25, as others in the PTO. Like the B-17/B-24 in the heavies.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Bill - thanks for the suggestion - I wasn't gonna spend the extra $$ for the Valom kit, but with a birthday coming up, I think I might have some leverage...!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Happy Birthday buddy !