SR-71 Decal Disaster

Started by Cricket · 12 · 1 year ago · 1/72, Monogram/Revell SR-71
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Encouraged by Jay @ssgt i decided to post this, Monogram/Revell SR-71, 1/72nd the was simple and had about 12 pieces 🙂 but I did it, when I got to the decal they were old and terrible. In an attempt to flatten them down I used “Walther’s Solvaset” which works well 98% of the time but not this time. Anyway, here it is, I’m embossed to show this mess 🙁

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 1 year, 4 months ago:

The model itself looks good, maybe remove those decals and you’ll be able to find some better ones. I have that exact same kit to build as a favor for a friend of mine . I hope the I won’t have decal issues.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

A real pity about those decals, Cricket @bikequeen
    The BlackBird itself looks perfect.
    If you are able to remove the decals you might try another aftermarket set.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looks like the only plausible action is to sand repaint and apply a new set of decals, my friend @bikequeen! Had a quick look at the net for decal sheets, looks like something is going on..

• Profile Photo

@ssgt @johnb @fiveten thanks everybody but it’s just not worth all that work, I have better kits to move along on. There were decals for the bottom as well but I’m not putting anymore time in it

• Profile Photo

I wonder if there are better 1/72 Blackbirds ?
    I think this is the same kit i built in the 70s... ?!?!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

My friend @ssgt, I did a quick net search and, to my surprise, I have to confess, found out that, apart from the Italeri/Testors that I knew, Monogram, Hasegawa and Trumpeter have 1/72 Blackbirds.

The Revell offering is a 60's mold, the Italeri, Monogram and Hasegawa are 80's and, presumably, better. The Trumpeter is a 90's mold, however, being one of early Trumpeter releases, I would not be surprised if it is a "legalised" copy of one of the others.

• Profile Photo

I didn’t know there were so Many of them. It’s an impressive aircraft, but it’s not high on my want list for models. I like fighters better.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Sorry this happened, Cricket (@bikequeen). Solvaset is really strong, and like you said, works most of the time. Occasionally the Solvaset is too strong for the decals and you have problems. I usually use MicroSol and Microset first, and if the decals need an extra push to snuggle down, then I use Solvaset. I try to use it on one small decal on the bottom of the airplane so I can see if there will be decal problems. I once had the Solvaset literally dissolve the decals on my model. You can imagine the words I said as I watched the ink in the decals run down the side of my plane in small rivers. I keep the plane in my display case to remind me to check before I use Solvaset.

• Profile Photo

@gblair thanks for the tip George! I order the 2 products you mentioned. I had used them way way back, then I found out about Walthers and liked it….so I will try Microsol etc 🙂

• Profile Photo

@gblair George, I got the microsol etc etc, it will be here today. One question, is the solvent applied while the decal is still wet or do I wait until the decal has dried….thanks

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Hi Cricket (@bikequeen): You brush some MicroSet over the area where the decal goes, then apply the decal. Carefully soak up any drips, but try to leave the decal alone. After a few minutes, you can carefully brush on the MicroSol. Once you use the MicroSol, don't touch the decal. You will see it crinkle up, but that is all part of the process. If it doesn't settle over the details completely after it is dry, then brush on some more MicroSol. Some people will wait until the decal and MicroSet are completely dry before they add the MicroSol, but I have never done that. SolvaSet is similar to MicroSol, but is much stronger. When I use SolvaSet I usually go through the MicroSet/MicroSol first, then carefully use the SolvaSet after the decal has initially dried. I mark the MicroSet bottle with a "1" and the MicroSol bottle with a "2", so I remember which order they go in. Here is a Youtube video that I found that illustrates the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pFcTb2lJWw. Youtube is a great resource and you can find multiple videos on any modeling process you would like to find out about.