Amodel 1/72 IAR-80C Kit No. 72168

Started by Bob Torres · 28 · 2 years ago · 1/72, amodel, IAR-80
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Amodel 1/72 IAR-80C. This is a nice looking kit, it has fine recessed panel lines with parts that looks pretty accurate. It is not a kit that will fall together, all of the pieces has to be cleaned or filed down in order to fit correctly. But the overall build does not look bad at all. The goal is to have a nice replica of Romania's little fighter plane.

4 sprues which also contains external fuel tanks and bombs.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Putting the parts together did needed some work to clean up the contact areas. There are no guide pins in the entire kit.

Here I had to file down the wheel well covers to fit into the fuselage.

On the fuselage I had to file the area to where the wheel well cover fits in. I also has to remove material to where the wings mates to the wing root area.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Parts for the cockpit with some nice details moulded into the parts.

The side walls had some nice raised details.

To make the seat fit into the cockpit properly I added some pieces of cut sprue under the seat and rudder pedals floor tracks to raise the seat.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I inserted stretched sprue into the open gaps in both wing roots.

The details moulded into the parts in the cockpit parts looked nice after painted, high lighted and installed into the fuselage.

Some filler is needed.

• Profile Photo

Applied Tamiya putty to the seams.

On the second shot was my second round of adding the Tamiya putty.

• Profile Photo

Propeller, spinner, two rows of cylinders, parts for the forward engine row and cowling parts. All needed to be cleaned up to fit together properly. This area was a major problem on this build. To be honest there was not one part that was able to fit properly without given it a good trim, cut or almost removal...

Note: Before the start of this build I found out that the propeller rotates in the wrong direction. Since I did not have another propeller that rotated in the opposite direction, I kept what came with the kit.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

What a great entry, my friend @v1pro!
    The IAR-80 is nonetheless an iconic plane and a very interesting modeling subject.
    The A-model is a definitely limited run difficilt kit, despite the model's small size. Your skills will, of course, deliver your usual masterpiece.
    Nice progress already!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great aircraft chosen, Bob @v1pro
    Your progress is impressive and I'm sure it will end up amazingly.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros @fiveten and John @johnb. This is going to be a fast updates because this is a kit that I started a few months ago and I am finally posting the progressions. This is again one of those kits that has to go through the slow process of file, sanding and in some cases filing or cutting the material so it can fit properly. But it does have very nice details and correct looking overall shape. This is a nice looking kit.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Nice work on this, @v1pro ! Amodel isn’t for the faint hearted modeler.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jay @ssgt, yes I agree...this is why I am looking forward on building the Heller He-112 next month.

• Profile Photo

Painted and gloss coat applied.

Lower view after paint and gloss coat applied.

• Profile Photo

The saga continues:

Removing material off the propeller spinner and engine for proper fit.

The exhaust stacks were filed down because it will not let the engine cowling sit properly on the fuselage. I also had to file down all of the rear row cylinder heads of the engine to fit properly too.

• Profile Photo

Almost there for the final fit, the engine gear box needed a lot of its material removed for the propeller to fit right and not stick out too far.

Engine cowling, engine and propeller now looks correct and fits nicely to the fuselage.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @v1pro! The kit definitely requires extra effort, but the result is worth it!