Amodel 1/72 IAR-80C Kit No. 72168

Started by Bob Torres · 28 · 2 years ago · 1/72, amodel, IAR-80
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you Spiros.

• Profile Photo

Airbrushed the yellow, most of my painting are usually applied by brush but anything that is a solid, bright colours, especially if they need to have a straight line are masked and airbrushed.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Undercarriage needed some cleaning and went together with no issues. Nice details on the gear doors. Not shown is the tail skid and I had to rework it a little by cutting off the rear strut and replaced it with a longer piece of stretched sprue.

On the second shot I had to make a new carb inlet, I lost the one from the kit.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Decals were applied, the kits decals were nice and solid. The yellow on the insignias and rudder stripe matched my Tamiya yellow perfectly.

The lower surfaces shows some of the weathering that was applied. Most were done with a sharp black and silver pencils. I also used a little of Tamiya's Panel High Lighter on the flight control surfaces which was not done yet in these shots.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great book on this aircraft, I highly recommend!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @v1pro!
    Nice yellow airbrushing!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Sprios @fiveten.

• Profile Photo

Here are the shots of the completed build of my 1/72 Amodel IAR-80c. No. 279, Escadrila 45 Vanatoare, Targsor, Aug, 1943. I will post the rest of my final shots in the headlines article.

Thanks!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 5 months ago:

That turned out very nice, @v1pro ! A very difficult kit, it’s amazing it wasn’t refined more before it was marketed. I bought an Amodel ; a Yak 28, I think… a twin engine Russian jet bomber… it had so much flash.. I couldn’t really tell where the part ended and the flash began.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jay @ssgt, these past two years I have built a few of these short run kits and they have all been like this one. Pretty much every single piece will need some amount of time to clean them up. Some are easy, some are hard and with some parts I will either replace them from a part from another kit or scratch build it. They will usually end up looking like a nice kit with the correct overall shape and looks and in some cases it will come close to the only kits that is made of the plane. That said as you can see this one took some work.

The other problem that I get from these builds are: no locator pins and adding the interior items I have to engineer on how to put things together. Pretty much like working on a vacu-form kit.

My current helicopter is the same, lots of cleaning, a little of scratch building and a lot of adjustments.

Still I like them and the final look to me is worth the fight.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 5 months ago:

You certainly seem to have the knack for those kits, Bob @v1pro, this one, like your others turned out really nice.

Years ago I had a friend that built models and belonged to a IPMS chapter in Denver. He told me locator pins were referred to by his club as “ mislocator” pins.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jay@ssgt, I do like building models like this. That is funny about the misalignment pins, on my last two KP builds hardly any of them aligned.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

What an amazing pace, Bob @v1pro
    Already on the headlines.
    The result is amazing, thanks for sharing your progress in thread.