Jo-Han 1/72 P-47D Thunderbolt

Started by Bob Torres · 44 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

This is an old kit that Jo-Han released back in 1973. In that year I went out and bought their P-47 and enjoyed the build very much. At the time I felt it was the best P-47 in 1/72 scale. It has the option of building it in the razorback or bubble-top version. It is a clean kit with very little flash to remove, has recessed panel lines and comes with two drop tanks and 500 lbs bombs. The shape looks accurate to my eyes but it does lack details with just a seat for the cockpit and nothing for a wheel well.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

A few tidbits about this kit, it looks like Jo-Han copied the Airfix 1960's release of their razorback P-47D. May not be an exact build because Jo-Han has the two versions that can be built but many of the parts are interchangeable.

The Jo-Han kit did clean up the Airfix kit quite a bit by getting rid of all the raised rivets and panel lines. This might be a good thing or a bad thing, this will depend if the modeler likes rivets and raised details or not. The razorback's "spine" on the Airfix kit is too rounded while the one in the Jo-Han kit is very close to the proper thinner edge shape. The Jo-Han clear parts are thinner and much clearer, and the drop tanks and 500 lbs bombs looks cleaner and more accurate in its shape.

The razorback and bubble top parts goes together just like the ones on the Hawk/Tester 1/48th P-47D.

The attached shot is the same Airfix kit but in an MPC boxing.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

For this build I plan on making the P-47D Thunderbolt serial 42-26044 “Silver Lady” HV-Z of the 61st Fighter Squadron, 56th FG.

From what I have read, this is the first "Silver" P-47 in the European theater. I will be using decals from Techmod and my build will be finished on how it looked in May, 1944.

Silver Lady was flown by multiple pilots. Francis Gabreski managed to get 5 kills on this plane.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

@v1pro - Looks like this is going to be a great build Bob!

• Profile Photo

The following photos show the scratch building process done for the cockpit.

The first shot shows the cockpit layout, just the seat. I used a cockpit taken from a Matchbox die-cast metal kit of the P-47 as the template to scratch build the cockpit on this build.

The next shot shows the measured pieces of styrene I cut from a sheet to match the cockpit template.

I added stretch sprue and pieces of styrene onto the sidewalls, rails for the seat, instrument panel with rudder pedals, reworked the seat that came with the kit and the cockpit floor.

I used a decal for the instrument panel, later I added another piece of cut styrene sheet onto the base of the instrument panel.

All of the pieces are done for the cockpit and the engine was painted and glued together. All of these are needed before gluing the fuselage halves together.

• Profile Photo

Brian Mennenoh @brithebuilder I hope so, I have been looking forward to build this for a while.

• Profile Photo

While the cockpit pieces were being worked on, I also started to build up the main gear's wheel wells.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Build up the wheel well's walls with cut pieces of styrene strips and later covered with two pieces of cut styrene sheets.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I used an exacto knife to lightly scribe the lines on the two pieces of cut styrene sheets used as the wheel wells ceiling. I also had to lightly file the wheel wells and scrape the upper wings inner surfaces to allow the wing halves to fir together without having a gap.

I glued on styrene pieces over the gun ejection ports for the spent .50 caliber casings and the base of the eight .50 cal guns.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

With the fuselage and engine cowls, I added some thin cut pieces of styrene sheet to slightly add some width to the engine cowl section. I always felt this part was too thin from other builds I have seen in the past.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And here I added some pieces to widen the rear section of the fuselage so the rear spine (upper fuselage piece) base would sit correctly. If I left this alone, then the fuselage would look narrower than the base of the upper part of the fuselage.

• Profile Photo

Dry fit to make sure all looks good before gluing all of the pieces together.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent entry and really superb progress so far, my friend @v1pro! Loved all the scratch builds and corrections you be made so far.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

An amazing entry, Bob @v1pro
    Some great work on the interior done already, as well as the scratch building on the wheel bays.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Bob @v1pro , you are really improving this old kit with your extra work on it. The wheel well improvements are very impressive as is the work you did in the cockpit . Lots of modeling talent on display in this build.