Jo-Han 1/72 P-47D Thunderbolt

Started by Bob Torres · 44 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 9 months, 1 week ago:

The rest of the plane was painted with a rattle can of Tester's Chrome Silver.

I am using Techmod decals for this build.

• Profile Photo

All decals were applied. This is a nice set, they all went on with mostly no issues. Just a couple of had some minor cracking caused by yours truly.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Some amazing progress, Bob @v1pro
    The scratch building elements do add a lot of realism.
    The Techmod decals look perfect indeed.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 1 week ago:

I agree with our friend @johnb, my friend @v1pro : excellent scratch building and ditto decaling!

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Your Thunderbolt is looking great, Bob @v1pro !

• Profile Photo

Thank you @johnb, @fiveten and @ssgt. I have used the Techmod decals on other builds and they do come out pretty nice. I think I enjoyed the scratch building the most on these types of builds. Lets see if I can get this done in the next two days.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 9 months ago:

Final updates on my Jo-Han P-47D build.

Here I start to dirty up (weather) the silver finish. I brushed on all of the recess lines Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color Black. After this dried, I used Daler-Rowney Simply Low-Odor Paint Thinner to remove the excess.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

My next step is to make some of the panels a little different from the silver that was sprayed on. I took a black oil based thin marker and lightly marked the panels and with cotton swab I rubbed the blsck mark and spread it very thin and even throughout the panel's surface. I also used this marker to make some of the streaks. From here I gave the kit a few coats of Testor's (Model Masters) clear flat coats to seal the weathering work.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Next to paint the canopy's frames, sides of the pilot's plexi-glass armor and to scratch build the gun sight.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The final hours led to gluing on all three drop tanks, added the guns, pitot tube, antenna mast/ aerial cable and propeller.

Now I can call this done!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This was a fun build and this is my 50th build since getting back to building kits 3 years ago. I am really having a great time building the old kits. I do like doing the tweaks (upgrades) on the builds and enjoy seeing the final product. My approach to building these kits is different from over 30 years ago, I think I make more mistakes than what I used to do but I feel the finished looks are better in a weird way. Even though I have 50 builds under my belt, the final week of the build still feels like a semi controlled chaos. I hope in the near future this part of the build will get better.

After taking some shots I will post this build in the Headlines. I will be be away for a few days, will do this after I get back.

Thanks to all who have followed.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

Turned out fantastic, my friend @v1pro! What better than building old kits and come up with such wonderful results! Keep them coming!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

Absolutely stunning result, Bob @v1pro
    Congratulations on your 50th build already in 3 years, love to see more of these quality builds coming over the next years.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros @fiveten and John @johnb. I am having a blast with these old kits. I have a lot more to do with what I have in my stash.