Jo-Han 1/72 P-47D Thunderbolt

Started by Bob Torres · 44 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thank you @fiveten, @johnb and @ssgt. My scratch building will never look as refined as a PE or resin part but it is fun just trying to figure out how to make them.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

@v1pro, your level of scratch building is much more satisfying than having preformed PE, Bob.

• Profile Photo

Thank you John @johnb. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Gluing the cockpit pieces, engine into place. The wing's upper and lower parts has been glued together earlier and are waiting to be mated with the fuselage.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I forgot to mention, the cockpit floor...now the cockpit is complete. Later I will make the gun-sight and add the forward plexi-glass armor.

• Profile Photo

Adding some filler and sanding.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Your Thunderbolt is looking very nice , Bob @v1pro !

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

This is the kind of building I think I enjoy the most. It's funny in that back when these kits were all that there was, and especially after some of the better kits started showing up, we all dreamed of having these super detailed kits to build. Now we have them and many are finding enjoyment in tackling the older kits. I'm trying to find some happy medium between new and old.

Nice work on that old JoHan kit. I can see that it is going to look great once its finished.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nice bolt, Bob. I remember that kit. I liked their 109F too.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking splendid so far, my friend @v1pro!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nice result on joining those parts, Bob @v1pro

• Profile Photo

Thank you @clipper, @j-healy, @fiveten, @johnb and @ssgt.

@clipper, I agree with you. I think some of these later kits, especially the short run kits, may look great when finished but the ones I have made had some pretty bad fit issues and spent way too much time cleaning up all of the little parts. Plus the parts count goes up with PE and resin parts...the older kits are more fun, even if I have to scratch build parts to enhance the build.

@j-healy, I have all of Jo-Han's WWII fighter planes. I have built their 109F/G and loved it. Their Corsair was pretty nice too. I have never built the Me-262 and Rufe but they look accurate in shape.

• Profile Photo

Update to my P-47 build:

This shot shows the painting process beginning.

External fuel tanks, undercarriage assemblies and propeller. I was able to grab a 215 gallon belly tank from the same metal die-cast P-47 I mentioned earlier on using its cockpit as the template for scratch building my cockpit for this build. I have to add some scaled down mounting struts to make it look right when mounted to the fuselage.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here I made the missing gear door panels from cut small pieces of thin sheet styrene to glue onto doors.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The 215 gallon external fuel tank has small pieces of stretch sprue glued on to mimic the mounting struts and the gear doors are now ready for installation after the painting of the model is complete.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.