B-24D "The Blue Streak", Bond Tour Veteran, Monogram 1/48th

Started by Walt · 219 · 2 weeks ago · 376th Bomb Group, 41-11613, B-24, Florine JuJu, Halpro, Halverson Project, Monogram, Ploesti, Teggie Ann, The Blue Streak
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 11 months ago:

All comes togeather nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

The wings are coming together pretty good, and while doing finishing touches on them as subassemblies, I have started work on the fuselage. The tail turret was the first thing, and so far so good. The few tweaks I made to the file made a big difference in the assembly. As you can see from the pictures, its not very big but has lots of detail, and I still haven't added the guns.

The fuselage starts with adding the missing structure on the interior. Not sure that the location of the stringers and formers are in the right spot and really don't care, it just fills in the blanks left by Monogram. I am also not sure how much is really visible, but hey, I know its there! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

The turret looks great, as does the interior, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking all great, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Very nice detailing.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

I was passing by and saw your impressive build WIP here, Walt @birdman-luftwaffe. Your narrative is well done too.

I can see that 3D printer you bought is really working out.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 10 months, 1 week ago:

This turret looks pritty good!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Well time does fly when you are experiencing life. I have been working on the kit but also dealing with other things. I had to make a trip to ER for my wife after she fell. She is okay, but I haven't seen that much blood since the last slasher movie I watched. I also spent some time with my mom and dad, my mom turned 83 and I owe a lot of my limited talents to her. I also spent time visiting my brother, who is battling cancer, and we all had a great time with a boys day out. My dad at 87, still manages to flirt with the waitresses.

I also spent some time working on my 55 Pontiac, I had to paint the dash before assembling it, and am pretty happy with the results. So all in all, I have just been busy.

I still managed to painted the interior, gave it a nice glass and now it is ready for a wash and some other treatments.

I also spent some time working on and revising the artwork for the decals. I think I have gotten it to the go to print version. It will give the modeler the option of putting on a decal with the background already filled in or letting them paint the background and put the decal over it. I also offer so choices on the maintenance crew, as there are pictures showing both.

During this time I also received a book I had been waiting for, "The Liberandos, A WWII History of the 376th Heavy Bombardment Group and its Founding Units". This is not written necessarily for the modeler with lots of plane pictures and the such, but it is written for the historian. I have been enjoying the read of a well written book that has cleared up some questions I had regarding the aircraft. It also seems that this particular edition was either previously owned by a relative or close friend of one of the member of the 376th, I have his funeral bulletin as well as copies of the groups reunion booklet and newsletters. It has made the build more meaningful to me, reading about what these men set out to do and went through when they got to North Africa.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

That's a lot of real life experience, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Wishing your wife the best for her recovery as well as your brother, let's hope he wins that battle.
    Great to hear your parents are both doing well at that age.
    Your 55 Pontiac dashboard looks really nice.
    Work on the interior of the Liberator is also perfect, great details and paint work.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Best wishes for your wife's recovery, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman. Yes, life can be an experience...

Also, best for your brother, hoping all goes positive for him. Great that you spent also time with your parents: these are cherished moments that you value them even more when they cannot be done any more - ask me how I know...

Your Liberator looks fantastic! The decal artwork rocks and the book looks really great!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Walt B (@luftwaffe-birdman)
    Hey Walt,
    I'm sorry I have not stopped in to check on your Liberator lately. I have been a bit selfish and concentrating on getting the PV-1 Ventura done. It's a tribute build for a Navy aircrew that was killed here at our local Deland airport on July 29th, 1943. I wanted to get it done so I could post it in the headlines for them on July 29th this year.

I am sorry to hear the troubles you have been going through. I just got caught back up on your journal. I can relate to a lot of what you have been experiencing. My wife has been fighting her battles with cancer too. She has gone through several surgeries and she went through 8 rounds of chemotherapy too. Lost all of her long beautiful hair, and I think that was the hardest part emotionally for her. Cancer Sux !

I had to put down my German Shepherd a little while ago too. She was almost 14 years old, so she had a good long life with us. That really Sux too. Dogs are amazing creatures, and they give us unconditional love.

Now on a good note, I REALLY like what the dash looks like on your Pontiac. It's coming along well. Many years ago, I had a pair of 1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88's . They both were 4 door hardtops, with the wrap around rear glass holiday roof. They both had the 394 cubic inch V-8 with the GM Jetaway transmission. I actually beat a 396 Chevelle once on the Interstate with one. There was no way it would have happened from a dead stop. Not that I condone street racing, but it did occasionally happen back in the day. 😉

We finally finished up the restoration on my wife's Dakota R/T. It was a full blown frame off every nut and bolt rotisserie restoration. Now I have to finish painting the fiberglass tonneau cover, get it tagged and she can start driving it. It's a good feeling to get it done.

You have done some AMAZING work on your Liberator. Having a 3D printer is very nice too. I hope to get one at Christmas. But I might get a cutter instead so I can star making some of my own masks. I'll have to decided which one I would rather get first.

If you ever need to vent or just talk about anything, please give me a call or text. You have my number.

I'll try my best not to be so tardy with stopping by and checking in here. I didn't realize it had been so long since I had. Sorry bud.

Take care.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks Louis, @lgardner, I appreciate it. Thanks also for sharing your Ventura pictures, I really like that plane and have the kit, I am wanting to build it and would love any input you might have about pitfalls to avoid. Yours will make a nice tribute for the lost crew. Sorry I couldn't reply more to your text but was out with the wife at the time.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

All the best to you and your family! your build is amazing as usual. cockpit colors and details are Great.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Before I close it up, I had to get the waist gunner window closeouts painted. I used AK Lacquers, using RC023 Olive Drab #9 / #22 as the base color and did around the edge and around the window with RC026 Olive Drab FS34087. I really like the way they spray and the colors look great. I will most definitely be using combinations of these paints when I plant the plane.

I cut the part where the national insignia was on the gunner window closeouts and applied them using Micro-Set wetting solution on the part before laying down. Once I had it positioned I rolled a Q-tip over it, and applied an liberal coat of Walther's Solvaset on the decal surface. The decal reacted very nicely and snuggled down as nicely as any I have used, without any drama. I gave it coat of gloss and need to now give it a wash and flat coat, but wanted to show just how nicely the decals worked. These are highly blown up pictures, when you look at the pictures, remember the window is only 0.75 inches wide (19.05 mm).

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Superb painting and decal job, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Nice work done, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman