B-24D "The Blue Streak", Bond Tour Veteran, Monogram 1/48th

Started by Walt · 219 · 1 month ago · 376th Bomb Group, 41-11613, B-24, Florine JuJu, Halpro, Halverson Project, Monogram, Ploesti, Teggie Ann, The Blue Streak
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks great, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). I really hate decals that go across open areas like the gunner's panels.

Louis (@lgardner)-Great truck restoration. It looks too new. You need to add some weathering.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks everyone, I am fairly happy with the decals. I like the way they react to the setting solutions and the film does a pretty good job of disappearing, but I wish they were a tad bit more opaque and that I under high magnification I couldn't see the printing matrix. Still when viewing with the eyeball they look pretty good and since they apply so nicely it is pretty much a win! If I were grading I would give them a solid B to B+, maybe even an A-.

George, @gblair, I am not crazy about decals that go across openings either especially when the decal isn't seperated for it. I had to make a template and cut it free of the National Insignia, and do it twice the same only reversed. I think it turned out pretty good.

Can see from the pictures the film edge pretty much disappears, barely perceptible to the eye. I did a quick wash with some washes my friend Ed sent me. He sent me a pretty complete set of AK Interactive Paneliner wash set. I really like them, they can be thinned with the AK thinner or you can use MonaLisa Oderless Paint Thinner available at Michaels relatively cheap. I have had the same quart container for YEARS. What is nice about the AK Interactive is that they dry quickly and you can wipe off excess from the gloss coat. Thanks Ed!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

A very nice result, Walt @lufwaffe-birdman
    The edge is indeed barely visible.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Parts of national insygnia on movable parts are always challenging.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Making progress, glued the fuselage together and it went fairly well. Typical of Monogram the fit is good but not perfect so I will have a little seam work to do but not bad. Once I clean up the seams I will finish the panel lines and rivets along the top and bottom.

I am fairly happy with the interior, its not super detailed or painted to the highest level, but so much of it just isn't visible I didn't worry about it. I did try out the AK Washes and I think I like them and think they are a lot easier to use than the oil washes I typically use. I am just not sure I like their color choices but I will continue to experiment with them.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

A very fine looking interior to me, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Super job so far, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great interior!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 8 months, 1 week ago:

It has been a while, I have been busy with things around the house (I put in a new sliding glass door), working on my Pontiac, (I got to the point that I drove it for the first time in four years) and of course work, wife and yard work. I also have been working a bit to try and get my decals printed. I tried another vendor and got a couple sheets printed by them. The decals look beautiful, but are a bit thick and impervious to all setting solutions I tried. I am currently working to get pricing from Microscale, but as of yet have gotten my artwork tweaked but I still don't have a price quote.

I did finish the sanding of my fuselage and then was able to finish the scribing and riveting I left off along the top and bottom seam. I also glued on the canopy and prepped the nose for the nose glazing. The nose glazing actually fits pretty nicely but without anyway to keep it centered it would be hard to glue. I put some 0.025" (0.64mm) round styrene rod around the edge and it keeps the glazing centered very nicely. In the pictures it is not glued on yet, I have to put the bomb sight and two nose guns in below the floor still.

I started work on the engines, it is easier the second time. I got them built up and fit into the nacelles as well as removing material from inside the front of the nacelle, the engine interferes with them unless you remove some material. It is a design flaw in the kit, and I just go in with a 1/8" (3.18mm) rotary file on my Dremel to remove it neatly. I still have the spark plug wires to do, but I am not too worried as I realize you don't see much of any of this once it is all put together. Only the flashlight squad will ever see it at the shows.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Really excellent job all over, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman! Excellent engines, indeed no need to add spark plug wires but for the penlight police.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 8 months, 1 week ago:

The interior is absolutely outstanding, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman. You really go the extra mile. Oh yeah, the penlight police. Got to keep them happy.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Ditto from me, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman. Everything looks perfect. I have a love/hate relationship with engine pushrods. I had never added them until recently and I really like the way they look. Unfortunately, they can be a real pain to add.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent progress, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    The engines look much better this way, great work.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Engines looks fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Walt B (@luftwaffe-birdman)

WOWZA ! I'm speechless. This is looking fantastic ! That's an excellent idea to add the plastic strips to the perimeter of the nose where the plexi goes. I'm taking a lot of notes. Your build journal will be of great help when I get to eventually build up my version of "The Blue Streak". I'll bet you are stoked about your Pontiac too. Four years is a long time... I just fired up the 440 V-8 that will eventually go into my Challenger. Just hearing it run with open headers is inspirational in a way. It's a high compression engine with a big camshaft, ported aluminum heads, 4 speed / pistol grip. Music to any gear head's ears.

You gotta keep momma happy. Happy wife, happy life. Honey do's occasionally get in the way of our hobbies, and most of the time they are necessary too.

I'm looking forward to your next installment. This is really looking sharp.