Westland Wyvern – 1/48 Classic Airframes - FINISHED!

Started by Eric Berg · 112 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 2 months ago:

PAINT SHOP UPDATE
    After spraying on Mr. Surfacer Primer I shot the Wyvern with two light coats of Vallejo Model Air UK Sky S acrylic but forgot to take any photos. In this next one the plane is masked off and ready for the second color, Extra Dark Sea Grey:

Which looks like this when painted with Tamiya XF-24 Dark Grey:

Then came the scary part - pulling off the tape. I used three different kinds - and hoping none of the paint came along with it. Success! Only in a few minor areas is there a problem. I must have not sanded that area thoroughly when I prepped it. E-Z to fix. Here you go:

Now it's time to touch up the area around the exhaust fairing and rescribe and detail the rest of the Wyvern before going back to the paint dept for a coat of Future.

Now that I look back at using Mr. Surfacer Primer 1000 for the first time here, I think next time I will thin it a tad more and give it a light sanding after it has cured. My go to primer has always been Alclad II because of it's ultra smooth finish but I have had a fair amount of trouble lately with paint pulling up.
    Mr. Surfacer Primer seems bulletproof to me and I will certainly use it again.

Thanks Spiros and Erik for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

The basic colors makes this one look great - Looking forward to the next posts here.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looks very nice

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Eric, really impressive and am enjoying the fine detail of your build. Thank you!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Great work. If I might suggest for future FAA projects in this scheme, it's a lot easier to paint the upper surface color first and mask it, then shoot the Sky color. Yes, that violates the "lighter to darker rule," but it works and also doesn't require so much tape.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @eb801!
    I believe that the lifted paint areas were spots that sandpapaer could only partially reach (ask me how I know: oh yes! happens to me all the time! 🙂 ).

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I like it! Need to build my 1/72 kit soon...

• Profile Photo

Tom- that’s a great tip. One I never thought of. I’ll try that next time. Dark to light.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Awesome! The FAA colours fit this beast perfectly. Having built the Trumpeter 1/48 Wyvern, I find this build very refreshing indeed. Can't wait for the final reveal.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Morne. Compared to other Classic Airframes kits, this one is going relatively smoothly. I hear the Trumpeter kit has much better detail and is one of their better kits.

DECAL TIME!

I no sooner got started with the decals when I realized too late that the "Royal Navy" lettering is too wide by a half inch (12.5mm aprox.). The lettering should have fit between the porthole window and the rear stabilizer, but no. MicroScale got the letter spacing wrong. In hindsight I could have cut all the letters apart and moved them closer but that's a heck of a lot of work and it still would have been too wide and too large. MicroScale should have scaled it down by 18%. So I had to reposition it and now it really bugs me visually. Unfortunately I have nothing in my decal dungeon that would work as a replacement. Oh well, can't win them all. On the positive side, for 25yr old decals, these are in superb shape and settled down very nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

@eb801 - don't proceed further with the decals! I have the leftover Trumpeter sheet, which has the "Royal Navy" the right size, and also some interesting non-Suez squadron markings. PM me with your address.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Good stuff Tom. I was just about to check if I had any

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the offer, George, but Tom found those Trumpeter leftovers that will work great. I was just about to create and print my own when he emailed me.

In the meantime I'll be painting the anti-glare panel in front of the windscreen, polishing up the rear canopy and figuring out how to correct the angle of the landing gear. I bet TC has a trick up his sleeve how to go about this.
    Here's where I am now:

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Pity about Microscale's incorrect sized lettering, nice that @tcinla saved the day, @eb801!
    Looking great with the roundels!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Should the problem arise again the fond for the letters can be sourced online and printed on either laser or ink, but good stuff that the correct size has been sourced. I suppose you have the fond, printer and sheets to make some yourself for future purposes as I recall some homemade decals in another of your builds Eric. It does indeed look great with the color and decals advancing!