1/48 Hobbycraft de Havilland Vampire FB52, Iraq, 1955

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 104 · 3 years ago · 1/48, de Havilland, Hobbycraft, Iraq, Vampire
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Pity that Squadron Green has now become Squadron Gray, my friend @airbum...
    This is my last Green tube...

• Profile Photo

I noticed at the instructions that an extension at only the starboard intake protrusion is to be fitted:

This seemed a bit odd, my following research not converging anywhere.

I contacted the GB admin and good friend Erik Gjørup @airbum, and in no time had his response, accompanied with appropriate pics, stating that "tropicalised" Vampires, like my Iraqi one, sported this extra protrusion only at the starboard side.

Erik, for once more justified his extremely deep knowledge in aviation, but also him being a wonderful person and a good friend.

So, tonight will be "starboard extra intake protrusion" night!

• Profile Photo

Extension added:

Fit was average, so it was time for my good fellow, liquefied styrene, to show up:

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

every small step makes up the journey. (I have been mixing styrene and glue in a pot - looking forward to put it to good use one day)

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good! I think my choice for the DH build will also be a Vampire (though smaller...), in one of the several S. American liveries it wore. I'm moving at the end of this month and boxing everything up won't start until next month, but at least I can tag along with your Vamp build for now!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @airbum and @gkittinger!

Erik, I believe that once you get used to liquefied styrene, you will use it quite regularly to help you at those spots that neither glue, nor putty, nor sheet styrene will do the perfect job; will not replace them; rather it will expand your gluing/filling/strengthening envelope.

Greg, I just love those S. American liveries. I just love them!

Wishing you a good moving; and I bet this small "break" will have a benefitial effect at your modeling pace: you will come back stronger!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Great catch on the interesting addition to the engine inlet, Spiros (@fiveten). I probably would have assumed it was a mistake in the instructions and made both match. I have never seen inlets that were asymmetric before.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George @gblair! Kudos to Erik @airbum for the outcome!
    I would probably never be aware of this particularity, have I not been member of iModeler.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good Spiros. I just caught up to your Vamp build. What is the full story on this liquified styrene? Can you purchase such a product or does one make it from scratch? I can see it could be quite useful and it sounds like something I need to investigate.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Eric, try putting the end of a piece of sprue in some thinners, let it soak for a few minutes and brush it off onto were it's needed !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric @eb801!

You cannot buy liquefied styrene, you just have to make it at home very easily: I cut small pieces if styrene with my plier, put them in a small jar, pour MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), which dissolves styrene very aggressively, close the jar and let it stay for half a day or more; a uniform liquefied styrene will be produced.

You can vary the thickness by adding more styrene or more MEK). You can apply it with a toothpick or a needle or use a jar with a brush attached to the cap, it is really up to your preference. If you close the jar tightly, it remains as is, ready to be used again. If it thickens in the jar, just add some MEK, leave, and after some hours it's ready again!

You can even make two jars of liquefied styrene: a more thick for bigger gaps and a thinner one.

If you are cautious about using MEK, you can alternatively use the thinnest liquid glue for styrene you can find: it will do as good a job as MEK.

A note: When using it, put only the required amount at the concerned area, as too much will dissolve the surrounding area and may cause sink mark(s); just put a small amount to adequately fill the gap, leave it to cure, sand and voila! Should some small gap remain, repeat the process, or use normal filler!

Once you get used to it, you might find it useful at some intricate filling cases.

You may even implement Allan's @kalamazoo idea above: it's simply an amazing idea and I will for sure use this process as well!

Here's a nice explanation video on liquefied styrene:

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

PFPQC tutorial is as usual great and thorough. Thanx @fiveten. (I found the show video after you sent me there some time ago - very simple and easy to follow)

I have made my own with the help of some cuttings and some old thin glue, and it looks good in the jar - trial will follow one day!

• Profile Photo

Hope it will suit you, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I'm really impressed Spiros @fiveten - by how you have taken this kit, which has largely been relegated to "door stop" by most people, and turned it into a very nice model. That's entirely due to the talent and skill on display, overwhelming the less-than-overwhelming kit.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Ditto on the previous comments, Spiros (@fiveten). MEK is a great solvent, but, as you say, is very aggressive and volatile. It evaporates very quickly if you don't keep it capped. You need to be really careful to have good ventilation when using this stuff, as its fumes are really bad for you. It can also be used as a liquid glue, if you are really careful to use it sparingly.