Cimber Air DH104 Dove, Amodel, 1/72

Started by Erik Gjørup · 70 · 2 years ago · 1/72, airbum, cimber air, de Havilland, DH100GB, Dove, Haldværk, Stauning
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great details, my friend @airbum!
    This interior will urge you to peek through the windows and admire.
    I usually don't bother putting anything in my cabins, especially when the windows are small.
    But I know the emptiness is there...

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I agree with Spiros - those are great details and those modern looking resin/PE chairs would look great although that's a heck of a lot of work for something that's hard to see. Have you considered opening the cabin door, Erik?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I may leave the door open, and I am thinking of replacing the windows with evergreen clear sheet. If not, then at least sanding and polishing the kit windows like I did on the DHC6 in-progress that is still waiting for a windscreen. Anyway, some see-through enhancements will take place.

To make the final decision on the seats I have to re-check my files for the Cimber Air Doves, but I do believe the Whirlybird ones are ahead in the race.

Thank you for the comments Spiros (@fiveten) and Eric (@eb801), always great to see some involvement in a build.

• Profile Photo

Floor it!

With the drawing for the floor in one of the resin-seat kits way off, I make my own

I started with a relatively thin piece of evergreen, and cut, testfitted, cut, testfitted, filed, testfitted, sanded, testfitted etc etc etc

With the fuselage taped together and the cockpitbulkhead from the kit installed with tape too.

In the end I got a decent fit and added one of the thicker floors I made previously that were far too slim

It has been trimmed to length to fit the aft bulkhead that has to be fabricated too.

Now the slim piece has to be trimmed to fit so that the floor will be level with the door, and I think maybe I will make a drawing of the pieces and scan them for future use. (I ordered a scanNcut today, and will be able to make more of these should demand be there)

next up – well, as usual I do not know. Perhaps I will continue the nosewheel work, perhaps continue the cabin. First it is off to work a few days.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Progressing nicely Erik.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Yes it is

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I can see a lot of quality scratchbuilding, my friend @airbum!
    What is not to love?
    Looks amazing, cannot wait to see this interior complete!

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the kind words - one more update in a minute Allan (@kalamazoo), Eric (@eb801) and Spiros (@fiveten)

• Profile Photo

More testfitting and . . . .

Still trying to get a straight fit of the floor

I did some more sanding and testfitting today, as I had a minute or two to spare when I got home from work.

I think it is just about right

And with that close to home I did cut the pouring “feet” of one of the seats and the toilet

And placed a row on the floor. Looks like it could work.

Now, while I was at the PC editing photos, I found a few from 2006 when the one at the museum in Stauning was being prepped.

Notice how the floor is flush with the door, and the cockpit is quite high – and with “wells” for the feet. Lots of detailing possibilities.

Stay tuned to check what’s up next!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Nice superdetailing, my friend @airbum!
    and your refpics will provide even more superdetail ideas.
    Looking forward to them!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

First it will be some more testfitting my friend - update coming right up @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Passengercomfort

With the cabin floor done, the wall and the cockpitfloor was assembled

I glued the cockpitfloor to the wall to be able to check the cabin for fit.

The floor works fine it seems, but the resinseats are simply too long and wide. As the seats are to be placed at each window, there is no legroom at all

The height looks like it could work

And the nice headrests will be visible through all but the worst of windows.

now I face a dilemma – modify the resin seats or make some new ones

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Either choice will require some elbow grease, but "make new ones" means less resin dust flying around! I don't like working with resin very much... Great work so far!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Although those seats look really nice with headrests and all, they look out of scale to me. If only there was a way to shrink 'em down but that's not happening. So what are you going to do? Which is more work: modifying them or making new ones? I can see the advantage of making new ones.

• Profile Photo

Greg (@gkittinger), I'm totally with you on the resin dust - that said, for something plug-and-play like the Ha-1109 or spitfire conversion I have experienced it can be done without dust at all - as long as the parts fit. For something like this I will use a very wet saw or submerge the lot while working with it.

Eric (@eb801) one solution would be to use them as a pattern, make two that fits and then make a handful of resincasts from those.

Now, time will tell what will happen - thank you for the interest gents.