Academy 1/48 F86 Sabre, HAF 341 squadron

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 115 · 6 hours ago · . 1/48, Academy, F86, HAF, Sabre
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Hi, John (@johnb): The color makes sense now. The canopy is an interesting problem. If you sand the clear part to level the canopy, you are also changing the way it fits onto the fuselage. I tried removing a little of the inside of the canopy frame, which allowed the canopy to sit straighter, especially along the front corners. I also sanded a little of the fuselage to allow it to fit flush in front, but I had to replace the small raised area on the part of the fuselage that blends with the front of the canopy. In the end, a few rounds of acrylic putty was required. One side of my front canopy was not accurately formed, so I hope that isn't too much of a problem. I managed to pop the front canopy off during painting, so I had to re-glue it. I will just be glad when I can take all the masks off and finish the plane.

• Profile Photo
    Steven Corvi said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Nice work. I suggest you blend the canopy w/ UV putty. It sets instantly adn sands smooth. Use it in light coats:

I use this stuff:

Colad Fast Curing Fine UV Putty System for Automtoive Refinishing and Repair

Steve

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 4 days ago:

@gblair, it is indeed mainly the frontside of this canopy piece. Thanks for providing me your approach, that will definitely help.
    @sjcorvi, thank you, Steven. I will have a look into this UV putty.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Hi John (@johnb) and Steve (@sjcorvi): It seems like both of our canopies have the same issues. I need to go take a look at this UV putty. It seems like it might be a good way to take care of canopy issues. Thanks for the info Steve.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 week, 4 days ago:

I think as one of the ways to tackle this canopy / windscreen issue while maintaining the relationship between the canopy and windscreen is to temporarily glue them together with PVA or perhaps masking fluid. Once this is setup then see what can be done to the fuselage where the canopy sets. It may also be possible to modify the clear parts a small amount.

By having the two glued together temporarily, you don't have to worry as much about the fit between the canopy and windscreen when you have to remove clear plastic. You can test fit the entire assembly as a single piece.

Steve (@sjcorvi), thanks for sharing this information. I have tried using thicker UV resin for some clear part work, but this putty has a thicker consistency which will be useful.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 4 days ago:

@gblair, @sjcorvi, @clipper, I will be building it with the canopy open, so I might get away a bit more easily with the alignment of the windscreen.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week ago:

Work on the windscreen and canopy has started. At first I applied the radio equipment part to the canopy.

Next the windscreen was mounted using Revell Contacta Clear. After letting it dry sufficiently I need to see how much work is required to make the edges look smooth. The canopy is masked and dry fitted.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 1 week ago:

Looking good so far, John!
    Are you also planning to mask the windscreen with liquid mask?

• Profile Photo

@alfred, thanks a lot, Alfred. I do have Eduard masks for the windscreen as well.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week ago:

Looking good, John (@johnb). It looks like you really got the windscreen fitted perfectly.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 days, 23 hours ago:

@gblair, thank you, George. Not too bad but definitely not perfect. Need to see how it will show after painting.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 6 days, 18 hours ago:

Considering the original fit of that windscreen, this looks like an excellent save. Good work John (@johnb) at getting this resolved.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 days, 12 hours ago:

@clipper, thanks a lot, Carl. It's not bad but still needs a bit of cleaning up.