Group F-86 #4: Italeri 1/48 F-86E

Started by George R Blair Jr · 58 · 1 month ago · . 1/48, F-86E, Italeri, Sabre
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months ago:

Hi Everyone. I jumped into this group thinking I would build two models, then I decided to build a 1/72 Sabre, and now I want to do one more. The Italeri F-86E has been sitting in my stash for a while, probably because reviews say there are problems with some of the shapes and the cockpit is very simple. I took a vote and decided to build this model because it looks like a simple build, I have decided to ignore any inaccuracies that might be here, and I can deal with the simple interior by keeping the canopy closed. I think this will be my last F-86 for a while, so let's jump in.

I started with the interior. No surprise there. The cockpit consists of a tub with the side consoles, an instrument panel, a stick, and the ejection seat. The seat looked really sad, so I replaced it with a resin seat I had in my stash. I spray painted the cockpit with a black gray, then sprayed some clear gloss to get ready for interior decals. This is where I almost jumped off the rails. There is a decal for the instrument panel, and one for each console. I "assumed" that it was the standard black decal with white dials, so I soaked the instrument panel applied it to the black instrument panel. To my surprise, the decal disappeared. It took a minute to realize that the white portions of the decal were actually clear, and the panel and side consoles would need to be repainted white for the decals to work properly. I quickly grabbed the instrument panel decal that I had just applied and stuck it back on the decal paper. I hoped the decal would still work after I painted the instrument panel and side consoles an off-white color. I painted the ejection seat and got it ready for eventual installation.

I haven't decided on a paint scheme yet, but I am leaning toward one of two natural metal Sabres that I already have decals for. Hopefully more tomorrow.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Excellent entry, my friend @gblair! This is a reissue of the old Esci mold, which, while not up to the standards of more recent kits, is still decent. Tackled by your skills an excellent result will come out.
    Great progress already, really interesting instrument decals 🙂
    Your printed seat looks wonderful.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

A great entry, George @gblair.
    An excellent start done on the seat already.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John )@johnb). I always check out Scalemates.com to find out the background of my kits, and then check out reviews online. I have built ESCI kits previously, and I thought this one would be OK. I didn't want to do a bunch of extra work to raise the detail level of the cockpit and other areas, so I plan to build the kit mostly as-is. Adding a new ejection seat raises the level of the cockpit without doing a lot of work. I figure I can close the canopy also.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 months ago:

Very nice work on the ejection seat, George!
    I also make use of Scalemates a lot to find out more about a particular kit. Very useful, especially the reviews.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months ago:

Holy Smokes George (@gblair). An entire squadron! 🙂 Looking forward to seeing how this one goes.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Carl (@clipper). I usually never build more than one of anything (F-4s and P-51s are the exception). I also never build more than one at a time. But these Sabres have been really fun, and I really like the Sabre as a really cool looking historic jet. F-86 #4 will definitely be the last for a while.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Alfred (@alfred). One more and I am done with F-86s for a while. They have all been fun builds, and I am building this one almost straight from the box. How did I ever survive without Scalemates? Cheers.

• Profile Photo

I was getting my 1/72 F-86E(M) done today, so now I can devote more time to this one. I got the cockpit tub ready and then checked that the resin seat would fit. It didn't, so a little sanding on the lower sides of the seat got it done. I may still add a throttle to the cockpit, but I should be able to move on to the bigger parts now. Cheers.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Cockpit with the resin seat looks excellent, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

Great work on the cockpit, George @gblair

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). The seat really improves what would be a simple cockpit. I am hoping to get some work done today, but we have severe storms in the forecast, so it might be hard to get some time to work.

• Profile Photo

Worked on some of the major sub-assemblies today. I was dry-fitting the fuselage sides and I noticed that there weren't many locator pins for the fuselage. The plastic is relatively thin and flexible, and I worried that the sides would slide around while the glue dried, creating lots of putty and filler opportunities. I was particularly worried about the spine of the fuselage, which had only one locator pin along the entire length of the fuselage between the canopy and the tail fin. I used some small strips of plastic to create some tabs that would help hold everything in place. I had to do a little work to get the fuselage sides to close around the cockpit tub, but in the end some coarse sanding sticks got everything where it should be.

I also assembled the wings. The right wing has the pitot assembly integrally molded to the wing. I figure there is less than a 50% chance it will be there at the end of the build.

That's about it for today. I hope to make some real progress tomorrow. Cheers everyone.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

This Sabre is shaping up nice, George @gblair !
    Adding tabs to the fuselage is a great idea! I’ll try to remember that.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Jay (@ssgt). I have used tabs several times and found them very helpful in cases like this. Sometimes you have to make adjustments if the plastic on one side isn't the same thickness as the other, or if the fuselage is really curved where you have placed the tabs. But once you get them adjusted, they work great.