Hasegawa F-86F-30 Sabre - Finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 106 · 20 hours ago · . 1/48, F-86F, Hasegawa, Sabre
  • Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Hi Eric, I’ve put in 20 grams just to be sure.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Hi, Eric (@eb801): The Airfix instructions said to add 10 grams, but I put about 12 grams in the nose. I used 12-15 grams in the others, depending on what kind of fishing sinkers I had.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Since I cut off the tail section, it was not required to add any weight.
    Still I did add some, just to be sure.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 months, 1 week ago:

@alfred, @gblair, @johnb, @fiveten :
    Thanks for all the weighty advice everyone. I went with 16 grams of fishing weights. There's plenty of room to cement them in place so they don't come loose and turn your Sabre into a rattle can.

I expect to put the two fuselage halves together tonight.
    Moving right along...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @eb801! Sorry for my late reply, you will be ok with 16 grams, I used 20 grams in my similar Academy kit.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 months, 1 week ago:

I also installed the complete (but unpainted) engine to improve fuselage sturdiness.
    Good progress, Eric!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 1 week ago:

I think 16 will be plenty, Eric (@eb801). It always seems like a milestone to get the fuselage closed up.

• Profile Photo

Hello all. Yes, 16 grams worked just fine. It balances nicely on top of the paint jar. You're right about buttoning up the fuselage is a major accomplishment, George @gblair. The fit wasn't as good as expected sandwiching it all together, but I didn't have to sand down the sides of the cockpit tub. By slowly working from the nose to the tail, I was able to achieve a very acceptable success. Some Mr. Surfacer was required and I have a bit of sanding and minor rescribing to do next.

As you can see I am ready to glue the wings and stabilizers on but I am concerned about the fit of the rear stabilizers. Take a look at the photo.

Decals: I am trying to hunt down one of the OP Aeromaster series "Sabres Over Korea" that won't cost me more than I paid for the kit. Any suggestions?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Very nice progress, Eric @eb801
    Glad you found the correct amount of weight to keep the nose down.
    Those openings at the tail should definitely be there, according to the picture below. Others might have more and better information about those.

• Profile Photo

@johnb: Thanks for confirming. I verified those slots just seconds before your reply. Funny how one suddenly notices things during the course of a build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @eb801! Glad the weight worked and those gaps are justified.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Back on the build after a week of taking care of our two grandkids while their mom went off to Europe for 10 days. Lucky her. I did manage to get my Sabre buttoned up as I approach the paint shop.

However I ran into some minor issues, mostly self inflicted. The intake tunnel came unglued throwing the air intake cowl alignment off but that is an easy fix. Look at these two photos:

The air intake cowl doesn't really fit well but my solution will be to cut the cowl locator tabs off and with those gone, I should be able to line it up to the fuselage. We shall see.

Does anyone know if Warbird Decals out of Alhambra, CA is still going? I ordered a set of Korean Sabre decals via their EBay store and got an auto generated confirmation. Two weeks have passed and not a word or response to an email I sent them. I guess I will have to hunt for an alternative. I note that Caracal Decals and a few others are about to issue new Sabre decal sheets. I suppose this has to do with the upcoming Clear Prop F-86 new tool that's coming in 1/48 scale.

In the meantime, I should have this baby readying for a coat of black primer and then an all metal finish in a couple of days. Stay tuned.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Great progress on your Sabre, my friend @eb801! Almost ready for the paint shop!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

It must have been great to be able to take care of your grandkids as well, Eric @eb801
    Nice corrections on those minor issues.
    What did you use to cover the landing gear bays, is that paper towel?

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

John @johnb - I use kleenex tissue torn in small pieces, stuffed into place with tweezers and "cemented" into the crevices with drops of water using eye dropper and evenly wetting the tissue. The tissue will harden and later you can pull it out. If any should stick to the plastic, just remove the bits by wetting them.