Hasegawa F-86F-30 Sabre - Finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 101 · 1 week ago · . 1/48, F-86F, Hasegawa, Sabre
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Oh my, this is really terrible, Eric @eb801, sorry to see this happening.
    Not sure what your decision is at this moment, but would it be possible to remove the decals and apply the marking by airbrush.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Both painting and decaling have given you issues, my friend @eb801. Looking forward to your approach in tackling the decal issues.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

John @johnb: I am going to continue on as I think I can rescue these dogs. I spent almost as much money on the decals as the kit with shipping etc.

By the way, what are you currently working on? A motorcycle?

• Profile Photo

Spiros @fiveten. Sometimes modeling karma throws one a curve ball and hits you right in the face. I refuse to give up! Thanks for following along.

• Profile Photo

@eb801, I'm sure you will be able to rescue those troublesome decals, Eric. I do understand you want to make use of them after spending all that money.
    My builds currently are the Honda RC213 from Marc Márquez and a de Havilland Mosquito as flown by Guy Gibson.

• Profile Photo

Decal Wars Continued...

These are the worst decals I have ever dealt with. A total pain but I am resolved to make them work by patching the exposed areas with decal slices that match the colors. I was going to use the Korean War yellow bands included on the Hasegawa sheet but the yellow is a completely different shade than the Warbird Decals which are noticeably brighter and richer. I just can't believe these Warbird Decals which are printed so nicely turned out to be so uncooperative. They curl, fold, chip, break off and do everything to make this a real ordeal. But slowly I am making the repairs and I think I can conquer this disaster. For as thin as they are, these Warbird Decals do not respond well to MicroSol and I have to beat them into submission to get them to settle down. Just another frustrating learning experience and major bump on the road to completion.

• Profile Photo

Definitely a frustrating struggle on those decals, Eric @eb801
    Seems like you are slowly getting there.
    Once done it will feel like you won the battle.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 month, 1 week ago:

@johnb - what I have noticed works best to beat these decals into submission is simply good old spit on my finger tip And using it as a burnisher especially on these awful yellow Korean War band markings that crack like crazy. I guess I should have coated these sheets with liquid decal film but they looked so perfect.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

You surely showed to those nasty decals who the boss is, my friend @eb801! Awesome decaling/repairing job!

• Profile Photo

@johnb, @fiveten:

"I Fought the Decals and the Decals Won!"

Cripes! These yellow bands are just too thick and refuse to snuggle down despite using a half a bottle of MicroSol. Pieces were chunking off just by looking at them. I admitted defeat and pulled them off and am currently looking for an alternative. I think I will put this Sabre on the shelf and return to it down the road after I cool off.

However, I did pull the trigger and ordered a set of CuttingEdge Sabre stencils and bands. I've never had any issues with CE.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Looks great, Eric (@eb801), despite the decal problems. I had exactly the same problem on 2 of my Sabres and ended up masking and painting. The first one was after I had put the decals on, and I took extra care not to put masking tape over any of the decals. The way things had been going, I was sure that they would pull up when I removed the tape. I didn't even try the stripe decal on the 2nd one. After having decals several times that won't respond to MicroSol/Set, I now have several different extra strong decal solvents that will work on obstinate decals most of the time.

• Profile Photo

Like what brands of decal set solvents you recommend, George @gblair ?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

I can imagine how frustrating it can be seeing those yellow bands peeling off at all places, my friend @eb801! Hopefully the Cutting Edge decals will behave well.

• Profile Photo

Spiros@fiveten - if they don't work, I'm going to mask the darned thing off and airbrush the bands myself. And to think I thought this would be an easy build.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Not on easy decision to eventually let the decals win, Eric @eb801
    To me the chosen way forward is the best and will give a much better result.
    Glad you were able to get the old decals off quite well.