Hasegawa F-86F-30 Sabre - Finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 106 · 20 hours ago · . 1/48, F-86F, Hasegawa, Sabre
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

Back on the track!

Hallelujah. I solved the decal issues. The Cutting Edge sheet didn't work either so I had to remove those as well. The golden yellow Korean War bands were just too thick like the Warbird decals and would not respond to any decal solutions I have. I didn't want to ruin the paint with something stronger. I suspect these CE decals were also printed by Microscale who did Warbird's. That's two decal sets down and a hole in my wallet. Not wanting to spend another dime, I decided to revisit the Hasegawa kit decals even though they are the wrong shade of yellow and the fuselage band is too narrow for an F-86F-30. The golden yellow of the squadron emblem is more like it. This kit sheet does not include tail bands so I painted them on and cobbled the black stripes from what was left of the Cutting Edge sheet. I have to say these Hasegawa decals cooperated quite nicely despite some negative comments I had read about them. They did not crack or fall apart like the other two sheets. At last I can see the finish line up ahead.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

I don't know what problems you found with Warbird decals. These three are all done with those decals.If you're now using the Super Metallics paints, there is no problem using Solvaset on the decals.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

I always worry about decals, Eric (@eb801). They come right at the end of the build and have the power to ruin an otherwise fun model. I have religiously avoided doing a Korean War Sabre because I was sure the fuselage ID stripes would cause problems. I always figured I would paint them rather than use a decal. Glad you are back on track.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

A pity you had such a struggle with those decal sets, Eric @eb801
    Although the Hasegawa ones are not entirely correct, I think hardly anybody will notice it.
    The current bands do look great, both, the decal ones and the painted one.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

The Sabre looks wonderful Eric (@eb801). I've had bad luck with the Cutting Edge decals I had for my Me-109E project from last year. Everything I tried, the decals laughed at me and said "Bring it On". Then I tried Solvaset, and they wrinkled up terribly. It's made me leery of buying any more CE decals.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

I have had good luck with CE nose art decals in the past, Carl @clipper. But these old ones weren't up to snuff especially the stencils which looked like the ink dried up in the process of printing as they appeared partially printed and blurry. The Warbird stencils were perfect. I think the yellow bands on both sheets were too thick and that was the real issue. That explains why they both were so opaque with a white under print. I spritzed my Sabre with a clear coat of Alclad II Matte so everything is good to go.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Great that you solved the decal issue, my friend @eb801! Finish line is visible now!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Up On Three Legs!

Thanks for the comments, guys.
    Yes, the finish line and checkered flag are right up ahead. I now have this Sabre standing up on all three's.
    Next I need to complete the cockpit and attach the fiddly stuff and then I just might be able to call it "finished".
    Stay tuned.

Here's the latest progress:

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Landing gear looks nice on, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

She looks nice standing on her feet, Eric @eb801
    Just a minor correction and some final parts left.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

that looks great Eric, she sure looks the business. Glad you stuck to it, shes turning out might fine!

• Profile Photo
    Steven Corvi said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Coming along nicely there!

I am currently working on the 1/48 Clear Prop F-86A for a review

IT'S Sabretime!

Steve

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Steve @sjcorvi: can't wait to hear what you have to say. From what I've seen of the sprues, Clear Prop has delivered a well thought out modern Sabre kit that makes all the others obsolete, albeit at almost twice the price.

It is indeed 'Sabre Time"!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Almost There...but...

Only three parts left to attach and some clean up but I just broke my left hand wrist yesterday and awaiting an operation. Of course, I'm left handed so no more modeling for me for at least six weeks but I am going to see what I can accomplish with my righty. Here's where I ended:

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

I am truly sorry you broke your wrist/arm, Eric (@eb801). You don't appreciate how much both hands/arms are used in most tasks, but especially modeling, until you can't use one of them. I think you should probably just put everything aside and not try to work on a model until you can use both hands. I suspect the frustration of trying to build a model with one hand would be overwhelming. Good luck with the surgery, Eric.