Hasegawa F-86F-30 Sabre - Finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 101 · 17 hours ago · . 1/48, F-86F, Hasegawa, Sabre
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Paint Shop Time!

It's been over a week since I have done any work on this Sabre. I ran out of paint and had to place an order. I wish Mr. Color would make these lacquers in larger bottles.

I'm used to using Alclad II lacquer metals but I decided to experiment with Mr. Color Super Mettallic2 for the first time. I sprayed the entire jet with duralumin over black primer. I masked a few areas with blue tape delicate but the paint did stick pull up just enough to be irritating so I switched to drafting tape which has very little tack. After this all dries for overnight I will give it a clear coat using Tamiya X-22 for extra protection before masking off any more panels.

• Profile Photo

I decided to leave the fuel tanks alone and forget the missing weld seam.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Beautiful result on the NMF, Eric @eb801
    She will look great, even without the fuel tanks.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @johnb! I am going to use the fuel tanks. I was going to duplicate the missing horizontal weld seams but changed my mind and will leave the tanks as molded.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Very nice work on this, Eric @eb801.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Excellent painting, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

@eb801, I misunderstood the fuel tank message, all clear now. Thanks.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month, 1 week ago:

That Super Metallic paintwork is quite good Eric (@eb801). Looking forward to seeing this with remaining paint and decal work.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 month ago:

Carl @clipper: This whole Sabre build for me is a test of this new Super Metallic2 so I can see how it works. One thing I noticed right off the bat: it doesn't seem to like Vallejo's acrylic-poly black primer and orange peeled just the slightest bit enough so that it irritates the heck out of me. I had to do a panel paint repair on the left front fuselage and I primed it with Tamiya Semi Gloss acrylic to see how that worked. SM2 responded much better and laid down nice and smooth. The other thing is SM2 pulls up faintly with Tamiya masking tape so I gave it a glossy clear coat using Tamiya acrylic clear and that took care of it. Until I figure this SM2 out, I still prefer the results I get with Alclad II. my usual go to for metal finishes. But I'm not done yet.

• Profile Photo

Decal Time! Pt1
    Decaling is my favorite part of the build. I am using two sheets from Warbird Decals which are actually printed by Scale-Master: Maj. James Jabara, 334th FS, Kimpo AB , S.Korea 1953. Excellent thin decals and very opaque, so one still has to use caution.
    Here's tonight's progress:

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

A pity to hear about the first metallic run, Eric@eb801
    The second run definitely shows a fine result.
    Decals do look great.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month ago:

It's interesting you mentioned the pull up of the SM2 with Tamiya masking tape, Eric (@eb801). And the overcoat with Tamiya acrylic clear to fix the issue. I ran into this same thing with AK Extreme metal, SM2, and Alclad II paints in recent builds. Tamiya clear does seem to work fine with all of these and I didn't notice any appreciable change in the metallic tone of the paints afterwards. I guess were still in that stage of metallic technologies where there's room for improvement. Still, I am glad we have access to these paints because most really do work quite well for the most part.

I am curious about the Vallejo primer 's effect you mentioned. I have always used Mr Surfacer 1500 in recent years and with very few exceptions, it has always resulted in smooth finishes. It has always been important to give the model a rub down after primer application.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 1 month ago:

Looking great Eric! I was a diehard Alclad person as well...until I tried the SM paints. I use Mr. Color gloss black as a primer...2-3 light coats until a good shine is present. I rub that down with a wet paper towel and polishes up like glass. The SM paints go on super smooth and no issues with tamiya tape, then a coat of Mr. Color Super Clear III...no dulling whatsoever. Alclad is getting a run for it's money. Your finish turned out great! Looking forward to seeing her done.

Jim

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jim @jimh for the SM suggestions. I did rub it down with a Kimtech wipe and noticed a big improvement. I think what I need to do next time is use that Mr. Color gloss black for primer. I still have a way to go here.

Carl @clipper: Thanks for the tip to rub down the primer. I didn't do that in the beginning. This is a learning process here.

• Profile Photo

Decal Torture Time! Pt.2

Just when I thought I was on track and smooth sailing ahead, I discovered these Warbird Decals (first time using them) are awful or at least my two sheets are. I am using Korean War F-86s Part 2 48027 and F-86F common markings 48025. I don't know how old these sheets are but look impeccable and I just purchased them directly from Warbird so they are new supposedly. They crack like crazy. Fortunately there are some extra pieces that I can use to patch up what is shaping up to be a complete disaster. Just look at these photos:

These decals are designed for Academy and Monogram Sabres but they do fit Hasegawa. The printing is precise and excellent but I think these sheets have been sitting in the "warehouse" way too long. A quick look at Stalemates seems to indicate these were printed about 20 years ago. I could be wrong. Anyway they have turned out to be a bummer.