Berezina 1812

Started by Rob Pollock · 40 · 3 years ago · 90mm, Berezina, Bonapartes Military Miniatures, Easy Composites, Glass Cast
  • Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Good to have plan. My mental health is much more stable when I have a project in mind.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Looks great Rob - things seem to have come a long way since the Airfix Polish Lancer I built in the 70's.
    I always tend to think of figures in terms of 'accessories' in dioramas with aircraft or armour - so good to see the entire vignette without any machinery

• Profile Photo

Thanks, David. Bare essentials, but hopefully the colour palette will drive it.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I'm learning so much here. I never had any interest in doing figures except those that sat in the pilot's seat or ground crew of whatever project I did. Plus, as I never made a diorama until the early 80s and (only one so far) a very basic one; more of a realistic base rather than a "scene" like the late, great Shep Paine did, I never learned much figure painting. Posts like this have made me appreciate what else is out there. Back when I last modeled, the only acrylic paints were from Sherwin-Williams and were for rooms and such. Oil paints were for house exteriors or people with easels who painted nudes and/or flower pots with a few fruits on a table ... (1) or clocks melting off the side of said tables. NOT for 1/48th, 1/72nd, or 1/25th model airplanes or cars and their crew or other plastic creations. How wrong I was!

re: (1) - do you know of whom I speak? I visited his museum while he was still alive and living in his upstairs quarters. It's easy to think he was a kook, but he was a BRILLIANT man, for sure! And yes ... perhaps a kook. Perhaps someone will make a figure of Salvador Dali. If so, I might be persuaded to do a figure someday!

• Profile Photo

Yes, the surrealist painter. Should add that 40 years ago, in a room I rented in Pimlico (London) somebody had left a poster of the very painting you mention; I think the ‘melting clocks’ were supposed to represent the relativity of Time.

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Rob (@robbo)

I was recently aware of this new Scale75 figure, 75mm scale, entitled "Battle of Berezina, 1812", the theme of this building:

https://scale75.com/en/the-napoleonic-wars/688-battle-of-berezina-1812.html

Looks pretty well done! After painted, one can almost feel the freezing temperatures from Russia 🙂

Maybe of your interest.

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Hi Dolf,

I also came across this by accident the other day. I was going through some old links to various modelling retailers, some I hadn’t used for ages, and while checking them out one at a time to see if still of interest, this guy popped up. Not big, but still big enough to merit a lot if detailed work!

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Rob (@robbo)

I'm no big fan of smaller scales, but this guy looks very nicely done!

I guess it would be another interesting challenge for you to have him on a little snow dio (after the water on the previous Berezina dio) . Just saying... 😉
    And I bet you'd do him justice!

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Probably wouldn’t revisit Berezina theme directly as I try not to replicate previous projects, but I am interested in another Napoleonic themed vignette per se, in a larger scale to the one just completed here, but haven’t yet decided to proceed with it. Am also looking at a ship project, but that would take me away from general modelling for many many months so not an easy decision.

• Profile Photo
    Gordon Enquist said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Just joined iModeler group and wandering around. Back in the 70s I started painting Napoleonic figures, good ol' Airfix stuff. In Oils. So to come across your dio was a delight. Now I like to build model cars and add figures and basework. Will post again, gotta go.