AK’s Panzer Putty – a cautionary tale

Started by Mika Harviala · 8 · 3 years ago · Masking, Panzer Putty, Silly Putty
  • Profile Photo
    Mika Harviala said 3 years, 12 months ago:

I've been using Silly Putty (in the US) for years to mask camo schemes on tanks and planes. It can leave greasy marks on the undercoat, but gloss coating a kit will prevent that. It's benefits are that it's stable and reusable, and it'll hold shape forever.

I decided to try out AK's Panzer Putty as it's supposed to be very similar, without needing the gloss coat. Nifty! Initial feel was that it was waxier, probably why it wouldn't leave the grease marks.

I masked out my PzH 2000 for the second NATO color two days ago, and was going to spray the second color today. What I found was this mess. Apparently Panzer Putty is not as stable as Silly Putty, as it continues to flow, albeit slowly.

My camo pattern was ruined as the putty had "puddled" wider, and worst of all, it had flowed under many of the finer details to removing it ended up pulling up many of the etch bits and finer tools on the surface. It had dripped down on my desk as can be seen on the photos, there was even a puddle on the floor.

I'm going to guess that it could be usable if you can mask and then paint immediately afterwards? That's not going to work for my purposes due to hobby time constraints so this stuff won't get used again. Just a cautionary tale for others.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Thanks for posting Mika! This AK is blacklisted with me now 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Matija Skobe said 3 years, 12 months ago:

yep, i hear more and more complaints about AK products.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 12 months ago:

I've use it a couple of times now, and it is a finicky product. My method is to use very thin worms to set the outline of what I want to mask, pressing it down even thinner as I lay it down to help prevent spread. I'll then use tape or perhaps more putty to fill in. I'll then paint immediately, and as soon as possible remove the putty. It doesn't complete solve the spread issue, particularly on vertical surfaces, but it does help. It is a bit more malleable than blue tac (though to be frank, I've only used blue tac for canopies when not yet attached to the fuselage).

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 12 months ago:

I am a true believer in good old Revell enamels. I mix them myself based on photographic reference so I can't say I have all the colors in their range. By coincidence, I wrote about the same issue in my WiP post just yesterday:
    https://imodeler.com/groups/military-vehicles-modern/forum/topic/t-72b-variant-in-syria-in-135/

I just refuse to buy in these expensive paints, they cost about 2.80 EUR per 17 ml, that is 165 EUR/liter, which is the equivalent of buying a barrel of crude oil WTI at 26.353 EUR per barrel (1 bbl = 160 liters that was before oil prices went negative recently on the front-month futures May-2020 contract). This is insane!

If you ever wondered why paints were marketing so heavily in journals and on modeling sites, now you know: You can make more money on them than on kits while you can mix them in your own shed underneath the willow-tree!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Whoa! I purchase some of this a few months ago and have not used it yet. Good to know!

Thanks for warning us.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Me too! Bought the Panzer putty intended to use it for my Aviocar camouflage some time ago but not use it so far. Good heads up! As a side note, I agree with Michael about the ever growing ranges of paints out there, clearly a very profitable market. However, not all products from AK are bad, take for instance the Real Colors, been using them and it’s a very nice product.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 12 months ago:

I think I am echoing previous comments from Pedro. I have used the putty on some builds, applying and removing the putty on the same day, and had no problems. I still prefer to use Tamiya tape for masking when I can. I also really like AK Real Colors and find they work just like Tamiya paints, but with a lot more color options. In any case, it is really frustrating to get to the painting stage of a model and then start having major problems.