1/48 Airfix Hawker Sea Fury FB.11

Started by George R Blair Jr · 102 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Aeromaster, Airfix, Eduard, Hawker, Sea Fury FB.11
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Now that I have finished my foray into motorcycles, I am ready to start my entry for the Hawker Group. I want to build the 1/48 Airfix Hawker Sea Fury FB.11. This is one of Airfix's new releases, so it should be a great build. I also got the goodies to go with it, so I have the Eduard masks, seatbelts, and cockpit PE. I also had a set of Aeromaster decals for this plane. I want to do the dark blue paint scheme for an Australian plane. According to the info with the decals, this was a one-off paint scheme used for air shows, but two other books that I have indicate that this paint scheme was used for some operational aircraft at one specific base. I don't know which is true, but if you search the internet you can only find photos of this one specific airplane and no others in this blue scheme. In any case, I like the paint scheme, so I am going with it. A dark blue scheme like this always makes the plane seem more formal, almost like wearing a tuxedo. I hope to get started on the build tomorrow. Cheers everyone.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great entry, my friend @gblair!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great choice George, the Sea Fury was a notable absence in this GB so far. I will follow your built with interest

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and Pedro (@holzhamer). I always try to build something that isn't already overflowing with other builders. It is also a big plus that I think this is a really cool-looking plane.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 5 months ago:

@gblair - The one thing to watch out for is the engine cowling. If you press it together tight, it's too small to fit for the airframe. Best solution is to get the Barracuda Studios resin correction. Or you can assemble it a little looser, then fill in the gap and sand and rescribe. But the resin correction is easier. And there's no gunsight.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 5 months ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    This is going to be a good one to follow along with. I'll grab some popcorn and pull up a chair !
    I can remember many, many years ago, when there was one of these at the restoration shop. This is a great color scheme you picked. I have not seen one painted like this before.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis (@lgardner). I have taken a good look at the parts and done a review of the instructions. It looks like it will be a really fun build. You know I am always in search of something a little different, and I think this dark blue scheme fits the bill. The interesting thing is that I bought the decals several years ago, and just got the model a year or so ago. It must be destiny.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Nice choice, George @gblair
    This is likely going to be a relaxation build after your motorcycle experience.
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I'm looking forward to a nice, relaxing build.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I shall be strapped in too George. Gonna be a hit in blue!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Erik (@airbum). I have a two or three more I might get to for the group.

• Profile Photo

I started working on the cockpit. I have a love/hate relationship with photoetch. I really like the photoetch for the instrument panel and side panels, as well as the seatbelts. But photoetch can be a real pain to cut, bent, and apply to the model. This plane has several parts that must be folded before application. There are also several areas where tiny handles and knobs must be applied. I think it mostly came out OK. The cockpit interior is in black, so not much will be visible anyway. I used black on the interior fuselage walls and instrument panel, but I used gunship gray on the seat, floor, and interior framing. Maybe this will make some of it visible.

This Airfix kit is really nice. It is made out of the really soft blue plastic they used for a while. I put an old blade in my Exacto to do the part cleanup. I discovered I was cutting too deep into the soft plastic with a new blade and creating problems that would need to be fixed later. As cool as this plane is, I thought it was interesting that there is no gunsight included in the kit. This was remedied in the photoetch with a complex part that took a while to get right. Now that the photoetch is over, things should go quicker. I have been doing a little research on the color used in the gear bays, wing folds, and so on. The instructions say to use Humbrol Linen, and in online photos it appears to be a really light yellow primer color. I will mix something that will work. More tomorrow.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I agree on PE being a real pain and vast improvement sometimes. Your use of it in the cockpit has made a real change George.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Cockpit elements look great, my friend @gblair! The extra effort paid off.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Glad to see you building this George @gblair. Supposed to be a decent kit as long one adds Barracuda’s corrected cowl and wheels to the mix from what I’ve observed.. This is high on my list but I’ll follow your build first before I pull the trigger.

That’s some serious detail on the gunsight.