1/48 Hobbycraft Hawker Hurricane Mk II C Night Intruder *** FINISHED ***

Started by Louis Gardner · 28 · 12 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Looks great in black, Louis @lgardner
    Indeed a good choice to go for gloss black.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Shiny!

You are making lots of progress on this one Louis. It will look rather nice in the all-black with the markings added.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)

Erik Gjørup (@airbum)

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words.

I let the Hurricane sit for a week. I was hoping that the paint would have had sufficient time to dry completely before I started handling it.

I added the Hobbycraft kit supplied decals. Even though they were old, they still worked out flawlessly. I’m very happy with how this turned out. These kit decals are realy quite good. I hope this is a sign of thigs to come with the Korean War Sea Fury, also a Hobbycraft kit I have underway.

I’m glad I decided to let it sit as long as I did, because the paint still felt like it was a bit tacky in some places.

Lucky for me, it doesn’t appear that I have left my fingerprints in the paint.

Here’s a few pictures of the Hurricane now I have added the decals.

As always comments are encouraged.
    Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Looking superb, my friend @lgardner! Great that the decals worked well!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

The paint did dry nicely, Louis @lgardner
    Decals do look very sharp on this black surface.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Nice and shiny. Surely the details will be a lot better once the homebrew is added 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 12 months ago:

Thanks gentlemen for the compliments.
    Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)

Erik Gjørup (@airbum)

I have not been building much lately. However, I did get some work done on the Hurricane beforehand. I have had these pictures stored on my phone.

The little parts, like landing gear and the tail wheel were installed.

I masked off the canopy and landing light cover, then sprayed on my "home brew" clear flat mixture to knock down the shine some.

The flat still doesn't look "Flat" enough for me at this point, so I had to go back and spray it again later on.

The antennae cable lead wires were added.

I sprayed the Red color on the spinner again. It was a bit translucent in one are, so a repaint was necessary.

Then it was a matter of simply adding the propeller and this one is now almost completed.

Please stay tuned as this one gets finished up...

Thanks !

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 12 months ago:

Then I gave the Hurricane a few more light coats of the Flat Clear.

There was a problem with some fine white spots on the top of one wing. Initially I thought it would be best to sand them out using ultra fine 3,000 grit sand paper. This left a small spot which was visible under certain angles.

The propeller was pressed back on, and I had another idea... I was not too happy with the Flat Clear at this point.

So I gave the plane a very light "dusting" coat with regular "Future" mixed 50/50 with rubbing alcohol. This effectively hid the blemishes, and also hid the rest of the tiny white spots.

This is how the Hurricane looks at this point. All it needs is some slight weathering and exhaust stains, then it is ready for the headlines section.

I have since completed the build, so look for it to show up in the headlines some time in the future.

Thanks for following along with this one.

It was a nice simple build. The fit was much better than I expected too. It doesn't have a ton of details like you would find in a Tamiya, Hasegawa, ICM or Eduard kit... but this is also what made it fun to do.

Take care.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 12 months ago:

Looks SUPERB, my friend @lgardner!
    This is an absolute gem, looking forward to see her at the headlines!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 12 months ago:

The Hurricane looks perfect already, Louis @lgardner
    A great idea and dito result to spray it with the 50/50 mixture.
    Looking forward to the weathering and headline presentation as well.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 12 months ago:

Good old basic kit. Nicely done, it looks splendid, and now we are looking forward to a sunny day for some more photos 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Steve Oakson said 12 months ago:

Nicely done. The black scheme looks ominous. Brings back memories on this kit. It was nicely done by Hobbycraft.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 12 months ago:

Looks killer, Louis @lgardner. Glad you’re back in action again. Hope you headline it soon.