Hasegawa 1/48 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b (late) - finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 165 · 1 year ago · Hasegawa, Hawker, Hawker 100th, Typhoon Mk 1B
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Thanks Michael @michaelt for that info. Now let's discuss that beam approach antenna. Looking at the 2018 "in-progress" restoration photos of the RAF museum's typhoon MN235 over at Vintage Aviation News, it sure looks like they moved that antenna to a center line location and you can see it from the port side. It's painted black in the last photo on their site. These images are copy protected so here's the link again:

Hawker Typhoon Back on Display at RAF Museum London
    I've also noticed that the center amber ID light doesn't appear on all late model typhoons. What does your Chris book and your research have to say about all this? Beam or no beam and where? And what about that light?
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year, 3 months ago:

G’day Eric (@eb801),
    I’m away at the moment, so cant look at mo books.
    Looking back at my pics that I posted, the beam approach antenna is clearly visible, left of centre.
    You can also see it on the photos on the link above, too.
    I think Hasegawa got that right - sorry, I realise now you cut yours off.
    I think that the rear ID light can be harder to see in photos and is out of view (if it is there) in my and the museum photos.
    So, not sure about that one at the moment.

Actually, looking back at the photo you posted on p5, I think it is there, partly obscured by the inner landing gear cover and lookin rather grey.

• Profile Photo

G’day Eric (@eb801),
    I’m away at the moment, so cant look at my books.
    Looking back at my pics that I posted, the beam approach antenna is clearly visible, left of centre.
    You can also see it on the photos on the link above, too.
    I think Hasegawa got that right - sorry, I realise now you cut yours off.
    I think that the rear ID light can be harder to see in photos and is out of view (if it is there) in my and the museum photos.
    So, not sure about that one at the moment.

Actually, looking back at the photo you posted on p5, I think it is there, partly obscured by the inner landing gear cover and looking rather grey.

• Profile Photo

And, I recall seeing the antenna being black in some period photos.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Tiffie Decal Time!

@michaelt, @fiveten, @airbum, @johnb:

Time for decals! I decided to go with the kit decals and chose scheme No. 2 SF-Z from the 137 RAF squadron that was based in Eindhoven, Netherlands in the fall of 1944. I could locate only one photo of this plane which caught on fire after being shot at but the pilot managed to get back to the base and landed safely despite the fabric covered rudder was toast. Hasegawa provides absolutely no info about SF-Z.

Here's the photo of damaged SF-Z parked along side the tarmac.

I used most of the kit decals which were printed in early 2003 but still usable. Like you noted in your Tiffie build of last year, Spiros, Hasegawa decals are tough to deal with. And yes, the white ink had turned a cream color so I substituted all the roundels with others from my decal dungeon box except for the top wing. Those Hasegawa large roundels took forever to loosen from their backing sheet and need many applications of Micro Sol to settle down in recessed panel lines. But it's all done now. Just a little more touch up and then sealing it all with Future followed by a final misting of Testor's flat Dullcote.

By the way, Michael @michaelt, I restored that beam antenna back to its proper location and will paint it flat black.

Does your Chris book have any detailed info about SF-Z?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Decaling your Typhoon proved a challenge, which you carried out in your usual excellent manner, my friend @eb801! Looks absolutely superb!

• Profile Photo
    Alan Li said 1 year, 2 months ago:

I think the Hasegawa tailplanes are the original Typhoon version. Later Typhoons had the larger Tempest tailplanes, so the aftermarket parts may not fit well sizewise.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Decals do look really nice, Eric @eb801
    The seem to follow the panel lines nicely.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - you're way too generous with the compliments. These Hasegawa decals are a total pain and too thick but at least they don't fall apart. @johnb- I had to use a lot of decal solution and then push the decals down into the panel lines with a toothpick. Took many applications and push downs.

• Profile Photo

@akcli2008 - you are totally correct about the Tempest tailplanes. I used the resin Tempest replacements made by UltraCast. They are super easy to install and the fit is perfect. Just have to remember that Tempest stabilizers protruded forward on the leading edge so one has to adjust the sky fuselage band accordingly.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year, 2 months ago:

G'day Eric (@eb801),
    The books don't have any info on SF-Z but there is a profile of SF-R/JP504 and two pictures of it (one with SF-S/MN134 in the background) taken at B78 Eindhoven. These show the full 8 rocket load.
    What is interesting about your photo above, is that SF-Z has, on that occasion a long-range configuration of a drop tank (inner) and two rockets (outer) per wing.
    The inner rocket rail could easily be removed and a drop dank rack attached in their place, so your 8 rocket configuration is still valid.

SF-R retains the lower D-Day stripes, but the white is all but gone on the fuselage, while SF-S still has black and white under the fuselage.
    SF-Z clearly does not have D-day stripes on the undercarriage covers, nor do they seem to be showing under the wing, so it is a good bet that it didn't have them. The fuselage underside is too dark to tell.

That may mean that it was a replacement aircraft, post D-day, and that might indicate that, in spite of the early serial number, it was an upgraded airframe. Certainly, the tailplane looks to be the larger Tempest one judging by the proximity of rear fuselage band.
    Judging by the angle of the shadow, it probably has a 4-blade prop, too.

I must say, again, that your build looks great.
    This whole build blog has re-energised me to pull my Typhoons out again as soon as I have my current builds out of the way.

I can't wait to se your end result.

• Profile Photo

G'day Eric (@eb810),
    I found these references to JR261:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/database/wardead/details.php?qnum=6370
    https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/49332
    It seems the aircraft was destroyed, while taxing to dispersal after landing from a recce mission, during the Operation Bodenplatte (1/1/45) raid on Eindhoven by aircraft of JG 3, and that the pilot Laurence Burrows was killed.

This link is in Dutch, but it has a larger version of your photo (see below):
    https://wo2-hoekschewaard.nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/register1945.pdf
    This indicates that the photo was taken after the attack, as evidenced by the nearby burning wrecks.
    (The document also lists JR261 as destroyed and the pilot killed in the attack).

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

G'day Eric (@eb801),
    I've just found this link:
    https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235090983-137-squadron/
    Chris Thomas states here that SF-Z/JR261 was a 3-blade, small tailed a/c (based upon the serial).
    I still think it could have been retrofitted with these...
    Alternatively, he does give codes/serials for some 4-bladers in the squadron.

I'm sorry if this is making things difficult for you, but I thought you'd like to know.

• Profile Photo

@michaelt - Thanks for all those informative links. Seems to be a lot of confusion regarding SF-Z/JR261. I've been reading an account of Canadian fighter pilot Johnny Colton titled "Johnny Typhoon" who flew SF-Z/JR261 several times before it was heavily damaged by fire during the attack but there is no mention of JR261 being completely destroyed.

https://www.vintagewings.ca/stories/johnny-typhoon

• Profile Photo

LATEST PROGRESS

This Tiffie was given a misting of Testor's Dullcoat. Panels where highlighted with pencil and Tamiya panel line black and brown. A misting of Alclad light sheen Klear Kote was the final icing on the cake. Barracudacast wheels and all the gear were added next so she now stands up on all threes. Plenty more left to do but I can see the finish line up ahead. I'm still going with a full load of rockets and the 4 bladed prop. Cockpit needs some final touch up and closed canopies. Getting there!