Hasegawa 1/48 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b (late) - finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 165 · 1 year ago · Hasegawa, Hawker, Hawker 100th, Typhoon Mk 1B
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Getting there indeed, my friend @eb801!
    And looking super!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Looks very nice already, Eric @eb801

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Rockets Ready To Fire

Every thing is all finished and slightly weathered on the underside of this Typhoon. Hey, Michael @michaelt, note that I painted those mysterious wheelwell ID lights red and green and the centerline ID light amber! The beam antenna is also back in place. All I have to do now is flip the plane over and paint some exhaust stains topside and throw a little dirt and mud on it here and there and then I can call it frustratingly finished.

This has been a not so fun build trying to sort out the correct modifications Hawker did to the Typhoon 1B late version not to mention those irritating Hasegawa fuselage inserts and numerous kit inaccuracies. I can't wait to get this over with. I just noticed that the kit supplied canopy seems too small and is noticeably distorted. I almost used a Falcon replacement which is much larger. Any comments regarding the canopies, anybody?

• Profile Photo

Looking super, my friend @eb801!
    Cannot comment about the canopy, I just used the kit supplied one in my build...

• Profile Photo

Bottom side looks perfect, Eric @eb801
    My only canopy experience on a Typhoon was a car door veriant, no help here, sorry.

• Profile Photo

This Tiffy is Finished!

I'm calling this build DONE! A little cleanup and I'll take some photos and post it in the headlines soon.

Thanks to all those who participated in the Hawker 100 GB and followed my build and to Erik who organized it.
    Erik @airbum, Spiros @fiveten, John @johnb, Michael @michaelt and the rest of you who stopped by.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Well, you may not have been a happy camper during the project, @eb801, but it certainly looks like one of the best results with this kit I have seen. BTW - the Hasegawa canopy is right - the Falcon is made for the old Monogram kit, Just pose it open and nobody will worry about distortion.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year, 2 months ago:

G'day Eric (@eb801),
    She looks great. As I said previously, I've learnt a lot about the Tiffy thanks to your build and I will make the mods on my two in-progress kits (as soon as I can get back to them).
    She certainly wasn't an elegant aircraft, but you have got her at her best.

• Profile Photo

A fantastic job, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo

A fine looking Tiffy indeed, Eric @eb801
    She definitely deserves a headline article.

• Profile Photo

Thanks TC @tcinla. No, I didn't find this Tiffy kit a pleasant experience. I must confess I made a serious goof up right up from the start when I painted the entire plane black. I think it was too cold in my garage spray booth even though I thinned the heck out of the paint. There is noticeable orange peel which botched the rest of the paint job in my opinion. Live and learn once again.

Another photo:

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year, 1 month ago:

G'day Eric (@eb801),

I've been doing a bit of research on the scheme options provided by Italeri for my bubble-top.

It seems that the first one is fictitious (JP*16/PR-J).

I was going to build this one because it has nose art of a small dog and the name "Jasper".

Chris Thomas isn't sure about this one (https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/hawker-typhoon-mk-ib-italeri-1-48.41310/?amp=1).

Then I found this site (https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1125) where the builder says that the markings are fictional and the dog a tribute to is his (then) recently departed pet.

How did Italeri pick that one?

The second aircraft is MN130/PR-M, but the serial number is a typo (admitted by Chris in the link above) and should be MN131. This one has the small tail and 3-blade prop, so I'll do that one now.

The third is MN570/B which has the large tail, so no go.

The fourth, MN363/ZY-Y also has the large tail and may have had the 4-blade prop, so no go again.

So, of the 4 schemes offered, only one is a real aircraft that can be built from the kit as is!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Interesting, my friend @michaelt!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 1 month ago:

That is indeed interesting but not surprising, @michaelt. Many model kit manufacturers get it wrong all the time. But like you said, digging up the dirt on tiffies as to what is correct and not, is really confusing and can drive one batty. Nothing wrong with a red spinner if you ask me. There is that adage: "No one will notice but you."

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Eric Berg (@eb801)

You have done a wonderful job with your "Tiffie". It looks outstanding ! I'll go leave a comment on your article.