Hasegawa 1/48 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b (late) - finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 165 · 1 year ago · Hasegawa, Hawker, Hawker 100th, Typhoon Mk 1B
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@eb801 - The larger tailplanes are Tempest horizontal stabs, which were used on Typhoons that were "rocketeers" and also used the 4 blade prop. They're supposed to "not fit" because they were larger. The original, smaller" stablizers were associated with the "bombphoons" (because the tactics and skills for delivery of rockets and bombs were significantly different, squadrons were either using rockets or bombs, never both), which also used the 3 blade prop.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Thanks for this info, my friend @tcinla! Amazing details one learns when diving into the wonderful world of modeling.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Thanks a lot for sharing this, Tom @tcinla. Another interesting fact learned today.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Yes, thanks for pointing this out TC@tcinla. That’s exactly what I figured. I guess Hasegawa didn’t want to deal with it. I now realize to use the Ultracast parts I would have to completely remove the kit’s slotted attachment point and fairing on the tail. Too late now. Drat.

Any idea what those things were on the Hasegawa short tailplanes that I removed?

• Profile Photo

Marching Ahead etc

Now that I've determined that Hasegawa has indeed provided totally incorrect stabilizers for this Mk.1B late model kit and after I tossed the Ultracast corrected ones in the trash due to misinformation, I'm moving forward with some modification. While waiting for putty to dry on the kit stabilizers, I am focusing on assembling and painting the rockets and rails which is a laborious task in itself. I drilled out the rear of the rockets and I will add a coat of slight gloss to them.

This kit is no shake n' bake that's for sure.

• Profile Photo

Despite the challenges this kit imposes, you are doing an exceptional job, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo

Although not easy, you are progressing nicely, Eric @eb801
    Opening the rockets is a nicely done and looks much better this way.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 3 months ago:

As always you have some very nicely done details coming along.

Now, this is pure speculation on my part, but the strange "bulges" on the elevators could be some sort of fairing/housing to protect the mechanism that moves the servo (flettner?) taps Eric? At least if they are servo taps.

• Profile Photo

The rockets are now painted and attached to the rails. Rather a boring assemble and paint process. I used Tamiya Medium Sea Gray RAF XF-83 and RAF dark green XF-81 plus Tamiya panel line black. I set them aside.

The rear stabilizers are now attached and waiting for glue to dry. Should see some big progress in a couple of days. Gettin' there!

Spiros @fiveten - I found your Typhoon Ib build over at MM. How did I miss this? Seems like I'm following in your build footsteps on this one. Wish I'd seen it earlier.

• Profile Photo

Erik @airbum - that's what I gather too but I can't find any reference photos of them so they must have been used on very early Typhoons or prototypes. Sort of odd that Hasegawa missed the accuracy here.

• Profile Photo

Rockets mounted on the rails do look great, Eric @eb801
    Looking forward to this big progress.

• Profile Photo

Those rockets look great, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo

Wings Attached

I attached the bottom wing first but had to sand the rear a bit first to get it to line up with the bottom fuselage. Fit is almost perfect.

Next I glued the top wing pieces and stretched a rubber band across to pull the wings tighter to the fuselage. Now the fit is totally dialed in and no filler needed. Thanks to TC @tcinla for that tip. Works like a champ! Miniature clothes pins sure came in handy here for the gun fairings.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looks great, Eric (@eb801). I always seem to be the last one to get the memo when I have the wrong info. Wings look like they went on perfectly, and I see you use the same high-tech clamping system that I use.

• Profile Photo

Progessing nicely, Eric @eb801
    Wings do indeed look great, no seam at all.