Tempest Mk II early

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 30 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Hi everyone,

So I just ordered (courtesy of a very nice Black Friday discount) the early version box of Eduard’s Tempest Mk.II.
    Not that I’m competing with Paul’s entry or something like that 😉 but it was a kit was had long desired to get my hands on, and pardon my eagerness but it’s my intent to start chopping the plastic as soon has the package arrives at my door.
    Now I have select the kits box art version has the one to go (version A) but I can also do the second version of this example, one that is less flamboyant (version B).

I am, as some might expect, more inclined to build version A, but I would like to hear some feedback from my fellow friends here as which to choose?

Version A

Version 2 - this one had a half white, half black spinner- not what the profile here shows

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 5 months ago:

As far as I can tell it must be from two different boxings with the B from their ultimate Tempest boxing and A from the Early Tempest Mk.II boxing?

Anyway, I like the loads of color on A for what it's worth.

Strapped in and ready to duck when the chopping gets going!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Would love to see version A, Pedro @holzhamer
    Although if you eventually choose version B it will look amazing as well.

• Profile Photo

@airbum
    Your remark is spot on Erik! I ordered the early box (version A) but it’s quite easy to replicate the other later livery since all markings are unchanged.
    Stay tuned mate, hopefully early next week the kit is here next week

• Profile Photo

@johnb the A is indeed more eye catching isn’t it? 😉 thanks for the input my friend

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Pedro @holzhamer - Great choice. I am currently about 75% finished with my Eduard Tempest Mk II early model, but I am going to do in Pakistani markings using decals from the original Special Hobby boxing that TC was so kind to send me as he built that kit the day it was released. Turns out these markings just showed up on the decal sheet in Eduard's latest boxing "Ultimate Tempest".

I have to say the A scheme is quite tempting and colorful. If I were to build this again, those are the markings I would go with. Have fun with this kit. It's terrific.

• Profile Photo

Ohh, that is looking good Eric. Looking forward to see how it goes

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

What a great choice, my friend @holzhamer! Each of the schemes has its own charm 😁😁😁

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Been working on this kit for a little over a week, and will post some pics of the progress very very soon (mainly cockpit and wings).
    As a build experience so far, this kit has proven less fiddly than anticipated when I first looked upon the build manual, and some pieces are so tight that no glue is required if you choose so.
    Still I found the sprue gates much thicker than their (Eduard that is) usual standards which is a bit odd.
    Oh, and version A is the chosen one 😉

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looking forward to the pics, my friend @holzhamer!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Would love to see those pictures as well, Pedro @holzhamer

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Pedro L. Rocha (@holzhamer)
    I have one of the early Eduard Tempest kits, (from the late 1990's I think), and I'm sure these new ones outshine it by a lot. I have been thinking about grabbing one or two of the new tool Eduard kits, and maybe a new Wildcat of theirs too. What I have really been waiting for the new 1/48 scale ICM Ki-49 Sally to show up. That one will hit the bench right away as soon as I get one, likely as part of our Empire of Japan group. Hopefully our wait for this one will not be too much longer. It's incredible that anything is coming out of there at all.

I will definitely be looking in for updates. This is going to be cool to watch.

• Profile Photo

Hi there my friend! @lgardner

I cannot comment on the “old” mould Tempest Eduard released in their early years, but I’m pretty confident your statement comparing the two generations is true for they are a world apart from each other in mould technology (heck I still have 2 of their first kits in the stash, the albatros IIII and the DV bought in a business trip to Budapest in 1998, still good kits but nowhere near what the produce nowadays)

Glad to have you following this build, thou it won’t be a very detailed WIP I’m afraid.

I’m also very excited about ICM Sally but more for the later version, which has more interesting camouflages. I’m sure the decal AM guys will give us a feast of options for both versions

• Profile Photo

As promised here are a few pics of the finished pilot’s office.
    A lot of details go in there but either me (and my clumsy fingers) or the way the pieces are engineered, I found the whole very, very delicate. I broke both tubular structures after painting them and while assembling the lot. Again, very delicate! If you’re building one of these kits make sure to widen the holes before assembly that structure because the plastic is quite fragile to any tension. Fortunately after gluing it’s not visible at all once the fuselage gets closed.
    As a personal critique, am not very pleased to the overall paint effect I got in it… but that’s how it goes.
    Wings are also assembled with the wheel wells painted aluminium, not Int. Green as suggested in the paint guide. Read elsewhere these late machines, especially post war, had much more unpainted areas like the undercarriage areas and some cockpit parts too. Anyway I like it better 😉

Sorry for the poor photo quality, taken with iPad which means a lot of pixelisation

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Pedro L. Rocha (@holzhamer)
    It's good to see you working on this one. You might not think the painting is up to your standards, but it looks really good from here ! It's also nice to know the tubular structures are so delicate. My usual ham fisted building methods would definitely crack some parts for sure.

Yours is looking very nice. It also pays to do your own research on the color choices we are sometimes presented with on the instructions. I think you are spot on by going with an aluminum color in the wing areas on this one.

Does that Dragon / DML model box we can see in the background contain a 1/48 Ju-188 ?

I know... I need to get mine done. I have to finish up the Do-17 and the Mustangs too 😉 . I have all of these grand ideas and not enough time. You know the deal. I went with the BMW 801's on mine, then I scored another one, but it's under the Revell of Germany label this time. The plastic parts contained inside are the same ones that Dragon had back in the 90's. It's still a nice kit IMHO. I wanted to also build up another Ju-188 but I wanted it to have the Jumo engines on the second one, so I could have one of each on display. It's still in the box, I have not started working on it.

Keep it going my friend ! It's looking really good.