Tempest Mk II early

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 30 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@lgardner
    Yes Louis, that’s our old friend Dragon’s 188, still unfinished and tucked inside the box. In fact my bench back space lodges 3 boxes, all (let’s call them) ongoing projects and one Bf 110 also “ongoing” dating back from the sharkmouth GB.
    I guess I have issues Lol
    And thank you for the kind words on the Tempest!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

The interior looks wonderful, my friend @holzhamer!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@holzhamer - Eric @eb801 isn't referring to the "old" and "new" Eduard Tempests, but to the currently-produced kits, which have an option of an "early" configuration without the opening ahead of the cockpit for the "later" trop version, or the "late" version.

As to the cockpit, the parts are definitely fragile, for those planning to do this kit, clip the parts off the sprues, then cut the sprue nibs off. If you try to cut them off the sprues breakage is GUARANTEED.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great looking interior, Pedro @holzhamer
    To me your painting standard is very high, even on this one. Details clearly showing that.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Thanks Spiros!

@johnb Its not that the effort I put painting the cockpit was less that usual, but you know that feeling that once you made it feels that it could be better but you can’t really understand why? Thanks for the nice feedback my friend

@tcinla Yes, that was the notion of my answer, but despite the box parts of all their 3 Tempest II kits having both smooth and open grill parts in it, Eduard calls the first box “Early” -the one I have here- and the second one “Late”.

As for the delicacy of the cockpit tubular structure your advice is spot on, care is needed when cutting them free from the spruces but unfortunately I managed to broke mine while assembling them to the firewall, therefore my extra warning to people that may be more clumsy like myself eheh

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Very nice office. Even if you are not completely satisfied, I have to agree that on-screen it looks rather nice.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Your office space looks terrific Pedro @holzhamer. If you think the Eduard tubular cockpit parts are fragile, wait until you try building Hasegawa's Typhoon cockpit which I'm am currently putting together as part of this group build. I think I broke and repaired the frames several times over now and they make the Eduard parts seem vastly superior. Once again, you can't see all that much once the fuselage is closed up on both kits. I'm on the home stretch with my Tempest II build. All painted and now I'm in the middle of decaling it.

Unfortunately, Eduard's kit decals are not so great, at least the ones that came with my Tempest kit. They are too thin and not as opaque they should be. Hold a black decal up to the light once you've removed it from the backing sheet. You can see right through it. The red stencils are awful, almost useless and I worry about the yellow ones. On my decal sheet, the black stencils are over printed and mushy looking. The carrier film is way overdone but seems to settle down when all is said and done. Be careful and don't soak them too long or the smaller ones will curl up on you. Very disappointing.

I've been trying to figure out where the thin, almost invisible brake lines run down the Tempest gear legs and finally spotted them on a current restoration photo. It also showed the wheel well in painted in that grey-green color. But as we know, restorations are sometimes not totally accurate.

Far as I can as I can tell, the main difference between the "early" configuration vs "late" is that the late model had hard points for bombs, rockets and gas tanks plus changed out the hard antenna mast for a whip.

• Profile Photo

@eb801

That’s a good comparison and kinda gives perspective about what you have in hands. I’ve never built an Hasegawa Typhoon, and probably never will, since it’s an aircraft that spurs no interest in me, but I’ll take your word about the flimsy bits in that one as well.

As for the decals, thanks for the heads-up! Some of the issues you mention are common to all the their kits decals. One thing I always do is trim the excess film around the small stencils before dipping them in the water.

I’ll have a look at the main decals tomorrow

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Your Tempest build looks great and is really moving along, Pedro (@holzhamer). I am just now catching up to your build. Sorry about the poor kit decals, but there are a lot of aftermarket decals floating around. Your interior looks awesome. I always worry about getting color information from a restoration. Most restorations do their homework and get the colors correct, but some don't. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Pedro @holzhammer - Now I see why these Tempest II red stencils are useless. The are completely out of register. The red is printed on top of the white and yellow ink. They look ok to the naked eye but once you put them in place, may as well forget it. The red printed on the yellow bolts, nos. 83 and 84, is also an out of register halftone. This entire sheet needs replacing after looking at it through a loop. I have made process color separations both by hand and digitally by profession, so there's no excuse for this sloppiness. Eduard should have tossed the whole batch in the trash. The large sheet with the roundels and solid black is much better and very useable, but no Cartograf quality. I hope your kit decals are up to snuff. I gave up and only used the black stencils which are just passable.

• Profile Photo

Afternoon everyone!

The basic structure of this build is now done, just a few sanding spots and some minor panel lines/rivets to rescribe. The assembly was trouble free with a superb airtight fit of parts.
    Next comes the sky fuselage band, yellow wing edges stripes and the exhaust panel area.
    Still waiting for new brassin hollow exausts to arrive, but that will be the last detail to add.
    Now this reminds me that I reinforced the “sitting” points where those parts are to be adjusted in. Eduard has one of the sides poorly casted so it would be difficult to get the piece in position without some luck and ability not to spoil the surroundings.

the propellor is also painted but the gloss coat I added simply hides the slightly wear and tear made in those black paddles. Let see if it pops back to sight with the semi mate coat finale

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looks great from here, Pedro @holzhamer
    Maybe it is indeed the shiny gloss which hides the wear, nevertheless, the propellor looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

All looking great from here as well, my friend @holzhamer!

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 1 year ago:

Pedro, I understand the "fragile" comment wrt Eduard cockpit assembly, but it must be said that the interior detail is exquisite! These modern Eduard kits are miles ahead of the rest in terms of attention to detail - which btw is also visible in the wheel well...

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year ago:

Can’t argue with that Martin @editor 😉
    I’m a big fan of Eduard way of making kits (let’s call it this way). Each of their newest kit seems to surpass the previous in specific aspects, and what you get in the box is bang for the money spent.
    Still, the tubular fame of the Tempest kit is quite fragile to handle, but the blame for breaking it twice is all on me.

Haven’t post any updates here for 2 reasons: 1- lazinesses in taking photos and 2- bad indoor lights has been a real handicap. Hopefully within days this will change