Sikorsky S-51/H03S-1 – Mach 2 1/72

Started by Bob Torres · 66 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 6 months ago:

This past March I built my first helicopter since 1969. It was a Novo/FROG 1/72 Westland Wessex Mk. 1. I really enjoyed that build, had to do a lot of scratch building but a fun build it was. So for this Helicopter group build, I chose the Mach 2's 1/72 Sikorsky S-51/H03S-1. Most of the little pieces are going to need a good cleaning and the clear parts will also need attention. The overall look in my eyes looks correct and when done I will add my second Sikorsky designed helicopter to my collection.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

What an amazing entry, my friend @v1pro! Tackling a Mach2 kit is anachievemrnt by itself, tacking a Mach2 helo is a double achievement!
    Your skills will produce a masterpiece and cannot wait to see you putting it together!

• Profile Photo

Spiros, not many builds on the internet on this kit. I hope I do a half way decent build.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Great entry with this challenging kit, Bob @v1pro
    Quite a lot of flash to be seen on the sprues.
    Looking forward to see how you tackle this kit.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 6 months ago:

A brave choice, Bob. It will no doubt turn out to be a real gem in your hands. As you mentioned, the clear parts will need some polishing and the tiny parts will require some careful clean up and handling. I personally have had some good experience with a three stage polishing board and Novus Plastic Polish for clear parts improvement. I have the MPM Halifax in 1/48, with similar short-run challenges, and the clear parts went through the treatment.. Overall though, that kit us a bit too much for me to handle right now.

In case you are looking for a more straightforward additional build of this iconic machine, AMP/Mikro-Mir has recently released a high quality short run kit in 1/48. Variants include the H-5G with floats and the RAF Westland Dragonfly HC-2. The price is pretty reasonable on eBay. Anyway, I am sure you can do an excellent job on the Mach 2 kit. It will certainly be great to have this piece of helicopter history in the Helo GB. Welcome aboard.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John, this is going to need a good cleaning.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Colin, I’ve been wanting to build this kit for a while. Yes the parts will need a good cleaning and the clear parts will need a lot of work. A challenging build this will be….I want to stay in 1/72 scale to match my other helicopter build.

• Profile Photo

Finally I was able to do some work on this kit:
    Shots of the cockpit floor and rear bulkhead. The left anti-torque pedal was missing so I added a small piece of cut styrene sheet.
    Weights are needed to keep this nose down.
    Drew lines on the rear seat to scribed in lines.
    Final shot shows a dry fit of the cockpit

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Now to attack the not so clear "Clear parts!
    All of the clear parts and the frame areas had to be cleaned up and constant dry fitting to make it fit properly.
    Later I will give this area on both sides a good sanding, and then polishing to see if I can clear up all of the glazed parts. As you can see weight was also glued on into the inside of the fuselage.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Getting there with the cockpit.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Great progress, Bob @v1pro
    Nice idea of added weight material, small in size but still quite heavy.

• Profile Photo

Yes John, this little guy needs some weight at the forward area. Trying to avoid the tail dragger look.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Nice steps, my friend @v1pro!
    Yep, Mach2 transparencies are not among the clearest or thinnest or well molded...
    This is definitely a challenging kit, but you already make the most of it and I really look forward to see your progress!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, yes the clear parts are pretty bad but I will press on.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Bob….. this looks like a tough kit to work on . You’ve got a knack for getting the best out of these challenging kits. Those clear parts are atrocious.