BTTF and other stuff

Started by Josh Patterson · 14 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 4 years, 10 months ago:

For the last year and a half I've been stuck working 58 hours a week and on top of that home and auto repairs have been eating up my spare time. I have still managed to get a few things in process and one almost done.

I finally got a 40 trailer for my BJ and the Bear K100 Aerodyne build.

(I have to build a reefer unit and tank from scratch for it though as I didn't want to spend $150 on the Ertl item. When will Round2 re-release it? Probably after I'm done!) So that project is under way. My Mobius Cylon Raider is nearly ready for paint with a few minor seams on the underside to fill. I have been going nuts on some Back to the Future DeLoreans though.
    On Father's day I subscribed to the Eaglemoss 1:8 scale monster and have already ordered ModelModz X-mas tree and flux capacitor kits for it as it really does deserve them as the Eaglemoss renditions are pretty sad. Meanwhile as I wait for my first issue and parts to show up (which will take about three years to get all the parts to finish the build) I've started a pair of Aoshima 1:25 scale cars. By being able to swap out parts I will be able to display any of the four versions while only needing two kits. I have built this kit back in the 90's and it is superb. They did the right thing by making a stock DeLorean cockpit and piling all the stuff on top just like the real thing! The only thing I did beyond going OOB is adding twisted bundles of colored thread to replicate the bundles of wires. I will have to do this to the new ones as well as they are just too clean without all the wire bundles!
    I am also nearly done revamping a Sun Star 1:18 Delorean. Basically disassembled the car, painted the interior the proper shades of grey added a missing capacitor to the rear deck (which was also repainted and detailed) and finally added all the wire bundles. The long bundles coming off of the instrument panel will end up disappearing between the seats. For this larger scale I used some colored wire from Hobby Lobby and it was nice to work with. Easy to train the bundles to lay where you want them and much easier to work with than thread.
    One just needs to drill a few holes to route the bundles and hide the ends! It really doesn't take much work to spruce up Sun Star's offering! (They also thankfully made a bone stock car which also needed color correction, but now I see AutoArt has one now as well!)

Hopefully my work situation will change soon. My cousins have been hounding me to come work with them so I finally put in an application and had a pre-interview interview at Basler Turbo Conversions yesterday. Not keen on leaving a place I've worked for 15 years, but converting DC-3s/C-47s into BT-67s sounds like fun. (They also have a flying club and a 172 for $60 and hour so I would finally have access to a tool to exercise my PPL which I haven't done since '08!)

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Back to the future AND BT67's - GR8 combo! fingers crossed..

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Good luck with the new job, Josh! Giving new life to old classics is awesome! (How's the Peacemaker progressing? Or have you been too busy for THAT big of a project?!)

The various Deloreans look fun ... do any come with simulated bags of coke under the seats? (Look up John Delorean, if you're curious ... ) Sorry! I couldn't help myself! LOL!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 9 months ago:

I know what you mean Josh - life does tend to get in the way of all the model projects! Everything looking good.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Hey now Jeff, he was aquitted. No further work on the B-36. I'll give you a jingle this weekend.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks Greg!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Awesome projects, looking great!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Brilliant work, Josh. "And so say we all..."

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I’m still working on that certificate, Josh. Although, in terms of suitability to be certified nuts, being a bass player just about closes the case.

Happy trails.

@jpatt1000

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 4 years, 3 months ago:

David, you should go on YouTube and check out Rob Scallions channel. Davie504 and Rob just did a video together where they went to th he Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix Arizona and got to play an octobass. (One of about seven in the world or so I've read.) It stood nearly floor to ceiling and is insanely low in register! Me, I was just happy to finally get my Warwick restrung! Can't wait to see my crazy certificate. (Here's nother example of insanity. The "small" plane is Monogram's 1/72 B-36!) I'll probably post the 1/18 DeLorean this weekend. (Although I managed to misplace one windscreen wiper and the "green tubes".) I do finally have enough parts that I can kind of start thinking about starting the 1/8 Eaglemoss kit.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Rob is pretty good value for money - Metallica on a harp?

Hey, this is me on New Year’s Day - with a real guitar...as opposed to those four string things...like the shirt?

The Delorean looks fantastic, Josh.

• Profile Photo

Rob playing Slayer on a uke is also pretty epic! With that shirt you should play with these guys! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqrHU-wzo0 A great cover/parody of a Prince song!

• Profile Photo

Oh. My . God. THAT, Josh - has made my night. ‘Riker’s kiss’... Unfrikenbelieveable.

My daughter will LOVE this - big musician and Riker fan - she was 15 yesterday.

Thanks, Josh.

@jpatt1000

• Profile Photo

Well wish your daughter a happy birthday from across the pond!