“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Loved Jaws! Before it came out - back when I was in grade school and my aunt lived near Melborne, FL, we used to go swimming all the time. One day I was out with my younger brother and sister on an inner tube - I was probably 4th or 5th grade - and I saw the fin of a shark break the surface near us (probably a nurse shark). "Tear out, a shark!" I cried, and we all ran to the beach. I got about half-way there, realized we'd left the inner tube afloat, and ran back out for it.

I still love going to the beach - body surfing, etc - though it's been years (I live in Oklahoma...). My wife however, was traumatized for life by Jaws, and almost won't go into a pool!

I'm loving your project David! I'm not sure which side of the fence I come down on - modeling the characters (Brody, Hooper, shark, etc.) or modeling the actors and Bruce. I lean toward keeping it in the world of the imagination (sans Bruce). Maybe save Bruce for another project - it would indeed be a COOL project! my 2 cents.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks for the memories, Greg. This is exactly the kind of post I was hoping to encourage with this group build - a bit of nostalgia, some thoughts about modelling, and some imagination. For what it’s worth, Greg, I feel the same as you. The ‘Orca’ needs to be built reflecting the characters - I’m at this moment tending toward lighting the cabin, recreating the ‘Indianapolis’ moment.

Really appreciate you dropping by, chief.

• Profile Photo

Caught some bench time this evening. The frame has settled and the dimensions look ok...

I started work on the cabin, which was quite exciting (yep, need to get out more...) and looking forward (eventually) to fitting out the interior; planning to light the cabin up.

• Profile Photo

A little bit of ‘jiggery pokery’ with jigs and clamps...

...and we have a fore deck.

I found a website where you can take 3D ‘virtual’ tours of the Orca inside and out. Didn’t really spend hours on it, studying minute details and trying to figure out how to make 1/20 scale cans of Narraganset lager beer...

It’s a nice change of pace working with ‘wood’ and it is certainly really nice to be scratch building. I have a week off soon so I’ll really get some traction on this and have it in a place where I’m doing all the nice detail work that I’m looking forward to.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Guess you'll have to order a shirt or a poster...https://shop.gansett.com/collections/1975

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Now this is a very cool update David... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 3 months ago:

This is one very interesting WIP David.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 3 months ago:

I though of modeling as being associated with O.C.D.. The potential is there and one must moderate things. But, now we have another foil to slow us down in our model making...O.D.C..

• Profile Photo

Nice one, Stephen; ‘open, drink, crush’. Took me a bit to get there (been a long day) but we’ll done. Now, if you want help with that OCD...

@stephen-w-towle

• Profile Photo

Glad you think so, Tom. I always think “interesting” is at the same time the highest compliment and gentlest put down you can get. As in all those teachers at school saying, “David, you are a very...’interesting’ lad”

I’ll take it as a compliment (with both hands), Tom.

• Profile Photo

On it’s way now, James. The internet. Best thing and worst thing ever invented.

• Profile Photo
    said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Hey David. Loving this wip. My tuppence worth I am with you do the indianapolis scene and Bruce as separate dio maybe.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 3 months ago:

You know what they say, "May you live in 'interesting' times..."

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 3 months ago:

I have a picture (somewhere) I took at Universal Studios Park of one of the "Bruce" sharks made for the film. Even on a stand, that thing looked awesome with its' jaws open looking ready to bite any unwary park visitor. It had quite a bit of wear, scratches, and such from so many kids climbing on it so Mom or Dad could take a picture of them together. STILL, it was very imposing and scary!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 2 months ago:

I had a supervisor (for clinical work) some years ago, Tom. Whenever I was stuck with a patient and grasping for theoretical explanations to cover up my lack of experience, he’d say, “interesting...” - which was exactly when I knew my bull***t was busted.