1/48 scale Italeri Focke Wulf Ta-152 H-1

Started by Louis Gardner · 22 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

John, @johnb

Spiros, @fiveten

Pedro, @holzhamer

Yes sir, this is the good old Trimaster / Dragon kit under a different label. So far I have had to add some LQS along the spine of the fuselage, and under the nose. I am assembling it a little differently from how the instructions are showing. I have glued the upper wing halves to the completed fuselage. This eliminates the gap at the wing to fuselage area these kits were known for.

Eric, @eb801

I will try my best to post another update later on tonight. I have made some progress on a lot of various Luftwaffe kits and if time permits, I will post some updates later tonight.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 11 months ago:

@lgardner: Are you going to build this with the "hood" open to show off the engine? Seems like that is a complete modeling project all by its own. I have an old DML version of this kit and your build is inspiring me to move it up the line.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Hello Eric, @eb801
    I have painted the cockpit and I was going to install it into the fuselage from underneath. However, I was contemplating what to do about the engine, specifically, the lack of having one. This Italeri version didn't come with the engine as the original Dragon / Trimaster kits did. It does have the rear most fuselage spreader, that acted as the main engine support in the original kit form.

Your comments got me thinking... These Ta-152's had the lower most rear section of the engine, (and some of the turbo charger along with the plumbing) visible from the landing gear bay while the main gear doors were open.

I have two of the 1/48 scale Tamiya Ki-61 Hien kits sitting near the work bench. These kits come with a license built Daimler Benz engine that was designed to be installed inside the fuselage. However, I would like to preserve the graceful lines of the "Tony" so I will not be using them.

Granted these are not the same engine that was used in the Ta-152, with the most obvious difference being the intake for the supercharger being on the opposite side as what was used for the DB. I have several of the 1/48 Hobby Boss Focke Wulf kits underway and they come with the rear section of the engine, the turbo and plumbing included.
    This is the built up Hobby Boss engine section that is visible from the main gear bays.

I figured I could take the Tamiya Ki-61 engine parts, do a little scratch building and come up with something that resembled what Hobby Boss has done.
    I have another Dragon FW under way as I try to do in my "Iron Werke" style of building multiple kits of the same type at the same time. This particular kit is the FW-190 D-12, but I will likely be building it up as a "Big Tail" version of the Dora 9.

The inside section of the fuselage is empty on this kit, and the landing gear well is incorrectly depicted as being sealed off as it was done on the radial engine versions of the 190.

I will look into cutting these upper gear bay parts up some, in an effort to make this area look more realistic.

I have included some pictures that might help to explain what I'm trying to describe.

Thanks for bringing this up to me attention. By all means, please drag your kit out, and feel free to join me if you like to.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Looking forward to your modification/solution, my friend @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Quite some modifications up ahead, Louis @lgardner
    Looking forward on how you are going to execute those.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Parts 'r' Parts used to have nice resin engine plugs for both DB and Jumo for these kits. Don't know if Bob is still doing these, but they're worth tracking down.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year, 11 months ago:

G'day Louis (@lgardner),
    The Ta 152H is my favourite aircraft.
    I built this the Trimaster boxing of this kit waaay back in 1992 (30 years ago!).
    I didn't install the engine, I don't remember why.
    My recollection is that it sits a long way forward, certainly further forward than on the Fw 190D, and so is not too visible anyway.

One of the few things I remember about the build is that I scratch built the annular radiator, which must have been a white metal part on the Timaster kit.

This was also the first build that I painted with an air brush.

I have the Dragon Ta 152C that has the same fuselage parts which you are supposed to cut to replace the nose parts appropriate for the DB 603. However, I'm thinking of building the Jumo powered Ta 152E (a Ta 152H with the C wing) and displaying the engine with open engine panels. One day...

A word of caution on the long span wing; after the build was completed I realised that the starboard wing is slightly warped (see the pic below). So, be careful.

I'm looking forward to your completed build.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.