A Caesar with a grin

Started by Erik Gjørup · 70 · 1 year ago · 1/48, 109werke, airbum, AMG, Bf 109, Bf109, bf109c, caesar, Haldværk, Luftwaffe, LW GB, Messerschmitt, quarterscale
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thank you for the positive comments – they keep the mojo flowing!
    @johnb, that is the best thing one can ask for.
    @fiveten, IMHO it is quite acceptable.
    @lgardner, happy to inspire. The yellow is throttle, red mixture. Propcontrol is elsewhere. Blue for oxygen – also on the hatch on the outside (sometimes blue/white), and they do indeed all add a splash of color.
    @gwskat I appreciate the comment, thank you

Now, some more work this afternoon / evening;

Wings and holes!

The wings were assembled and installed and some vents opened

With the wings assembled they were attached to the fuselage

All was left to cure 24 hours before the tape was removed.

Then it became time for some nosesurgery

First up, marking the location with the aid of some backlight and a pen

Then holes were drilled on the back, being careful not to go through

And from there it was some cutting with a sharp blade and using a dentists tool to remove the small pieces

And finally the cowling was assembled on the desk – having fettled with the individual parts on another build inspired me to assemble it all before installing it in the plane

As usual the engine needed some filing to enable the nose to fit.

While this cures I most likely will work on another of the many 109’s in progress – stay tuned for the next post

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is such amazingly delicate job, my friend @airbum! Kudos to your effort and result!
    P.S. You would make for an excellent dentist! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Your detailing on 109's becomes better every time, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 2 years, 11 months ago:

hmm - I didn't realize these earlier birds has so many small inlets and vents! Makes me nervous about my upcoming 1/72 builds... but, at least I have your library of 109 builds as a reference!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good by the way!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Thank you gentlemen.

@fiveten, I would not visit me if I were to have a dentists appointment 🙂

@johnb, if you try and try and try again you are going to improve, so I'll just keep pushin' those 109's

@gkittinger, some had a lot, some had less, but in 1/72nd I think a hint will do.

Sorry - no update yet, just wanted to reply to all your friendly comments. Thanks again.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Erik, having those 3 air scoops open is a deal breaker for the end look of your 109 C.
    I admire your courage on cutting them open, I don’t think I would dare doing so 🙁
    Too bad AMG didn’t take the job done properly there

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Just a thought- had a quick look at the Modelsvit kit and it too has those air scoops closed. With tons of AM produced, and a lot of it are redundant IMO, here is a piece that could easily be produced in resin as a drop fit replacement

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I like this version of the 109 a lot, Erik. That's some super detailing you have done in the cockpit. Much more intricate than what I put into my 1/32nd G-6s. It must be interesting working with dental instruments. I have heard they work well and some dentists are excellent modelers - for example, a guy named Frank Spahr, who does some superb 1/350 scale ships. I am really impressed with your ambition in getting realistic vents that are so tiny. I guess it's similar to drilling out MG barrels but more challenging. Can't wait to see the grin around that deep intake - it will be most striking.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Erik @airbum, fantastic work on this so far, can't wait to watch your progress, your attention to detail makes my feeble efforts embarrasing.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you for the comments gents.
    @holzhamer, indeed the noses are a neat and relatively easy thing to make as a resin copy.
    @coling, with all the teeth I have planned on this one, dental instruments seems the way forward
    @chinesegeorge, sadly it has been far too long since the last update, but here we go

More holes

The spinner also needs a bit of attention

These kits has two spinners included, so it is easy to be tempted to open them up

What I did was remove the center on one of them and the outer stuff on the other one

Now, it is really small

And it is only with the pictures I realise the center is off a bit. Will have to address that before the glue hardens.

hopefully it will not be as long before the next update – tune in and check later

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

This is unbelievable attention to detail, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Wow, this is detailing to the limit, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great build @airbum !

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 4 months ago:

@fiveten, @johnb and @michel-verschuere. Thank you gentlemen. Small update on this happy plane:

Legs, exhausts and stuff

A few days ago I managed to get this kite on its legs

Or at least I got the legs on (not quite the same as it now needs to cure before more work is done.

I always like to have the legs on, and so far I have managed to avoid breaking more than one or two on my builds.

The exhausts have been drilled and installed.

And one more look at the office. The REVI need to be taken out and moved up quite a bit in order to get vision through the glass.

A small info entirely from my memory, so not the actual truth (could be that I remember it correct though): When the exhausts on Doras and Cesars were extended and folded back a bit it gave the equivalent of up to 10hp worth of extra thrust, so a problem with the hot gases eating away at the near skin gave an added bonus. Of course on later marks the exhausts were further refined, but that is another story.

next up I suppose a windscreen and a hood after moving the REVI – or some photoetched and resin details. Tune in and check.