A couple of Schlacht planes zooming down

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 98 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Eduard, Fw.190 F, Henschel 129 B, Revell, Schlacht combo
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Coming along really great, my friend @holzhamer!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Very nice paintwork, Pedro @holzhamer
    Also very curious how your 129 will turn out.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 9 months ago:

@fiveten
    @johnb
    Thank you both for passing by and feedback.
    John, I’m also anxious to get work done in the Henschel, but the Stuka paint work will be a good mirror for that matter

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer
    I am always impressed with the way you paint the interior sections on your models. I know that you use oils and different colors to achieve this look. This is something I should try, but so far I don't know how to go about doing this. I will practice on a test subject before I attempt something like this.

My hat's off to you Sir ! The Stuka you have posted has prompted me to take a look at the 1/48 scale Special Hobby "Anton" I have in the stash... Maybe I could pull it off, as there are not too many parts in this kit and it has a nice resin cockpit that I could use your oil painting method on.

The HS-129 model, a Ju-87 Stuka AND a Wurger ? Now you're talking ! This is my kind of build journal... 🙂

Thanks for posting the 1/48 ICM Dornier 17 journal. I will do my best to get cranking on mine soon... 😉

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Just catching up on this thread. Pedro. Great highlighting of detail in the two cockpits, particularly on the Stuka, as I can compare that to my own build in 1/32.

You are the master of the marbling technique, as evidenced by the 190. It is quite an accomplishment to preserve this particular pre-shading effect when having to layer on multiple colors for camo and mottling. The pre-shade panel lines also come out beautifully at this stage on the Focke-Wulf. I hope to be at the painting stage on my 109s soon, so I am looking to your builds, as usual, for inspiration and guidance.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 9 months ago:

@coling
    Colin, thanks for the very nice feedback, but honestly I don’t think myself as a master of nothing, just a enthusiastic modeller with a good airbrush and paints 🙂
    I just visited your Stuka WIP, and upscaled dimension of your Stuka cockpit allows for a much higher level of details and finesse, something you seem to be elevating even more there. Hasegawa 1/48 version is a little bygone in time when it comes to details, particularly lacking them around the cockpit and, much to my dismay, the engine radiator - it has absolutely no rear details despite the huge open area there! It’s a void basically.
    Another area that your 1/32 shows to have but mine has none are the wing walk stripes. They provide a mere decal to “create” them...thankfully it’s not hard to scratch those from thin evergreen strips I think.

@lgardner
    I would very much like to see that Ju.87 A being built, but I guess you have a full table already. Just make some extra room for the Dornier will ya?! 😉

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer

You just never know what to expect from the Iron Werke... Here are a few pictures you might enjoy.

Here’s a closer picture of the Anton. The huge wheel spats and early Luftwaffe scheme make this one stand out from the crowd.

How cool would it be if we ended up getting the twin tailed Ju-87 prototype available as a kit ? That one was left in natural metal finish going from memory. Then I did a quick internet search and found these...

Since the move into the new hobby room, I have a much larger work table. There will be room for the Dornier 17...

Take care buddy.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Hummm, been 2 months since I last updated this thread 🙁
    Although I’ve been busy with a couple other projects during this lull, truth is these 2 (out of3) have not been completely set aside.
    The 190 is almost ready, the yellow band still needs some adjustments to its diameter and the area around the exhaust louvres still makes me scratch my head about how and with what to paint them. This particular machine had neither that area painted in black (as most 190 seem to had) nor painted with the main side colour (RLM 76), so it’s something I still need to settle for good.
    Another quite notoriously absent part in the pics I s the rudder. I can assure you it’s finished but not assembled, next update it will be there 😉

The upper right wing and both upper sides of the elevators had a first oil wash for depth.
    More to follow soon

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Progress is awesome, Pedro @holzhamer
    Good you continued with these builds, I'm especially looking forward to your Hs129.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Looking fantastic, my friend @holzhamer!

• Profile Photo

@johnb - thanks John, I can assure you all of the 3 kits here are to be completed, sooner or later, and I’m also eager to start the Henschel soon.

@fiveten- thanks Spiros. Regrettably I am still without some proper light to take decent photos. These last two are far from doing justice to the model imo, and ever since I lost my old workbench (thanks to the Mrs and her recent house renovations) a good lamplight is still on the purchase list

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 7 months ago:

I really like that camo paint job you gave your F8, Pedro @holzhamer. Did you put that oil wash directly over the camo paint with no sealer first underneath? You must be using enamels right? I've got that StukaB-2 in my stash so I will be anxious to see what you do with it. Supposed to be a good kit. Keep'em coming!

• Profile Photo

@eb801 - Eric, thanks for the feedback. The entire airframe was first sprayed with gloss varnish, both because of decals and of the weathering oils and stuff.

I never used enamels, in fact I avoid that stuff for decades. The F-8 is painted with Gunze acrylic, the exception being the 04 (MRP lacquer).

Just to complement, I often apply oils directly over Gunze, Tamiya, MRP or AK Real Colors and never had any issue with it.

Hasegawa Stuka is a very nice kit but has a few issues, one of them is the absence of any detail on the rear part of the lower engine radiator. I’m about to try and do it with plastic sheet and other available materials

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 7 months ago:

@holzhamer - I never use enamels either. Hate them. I have been using Mig oil washes and they work great over Future or anything glossy. No rear radiator details on the Stuka huh? I will see what you come up with and maybe copy your results. Good luck.

• Profile Photo

Continuing the work around the Fw 190 F-8, I finally got the somewhat uneven and over sprayed RLM 04 yellow band made to my satisfaction.
    In order to do it I had to apply the balkenkreuz decal within the band and proceed with some care to overspray some pieces of the decal.

And I also managed to give the model a full oil wash. Now it needs to dry overnight then apply the remaining decals and probably mask and paint the wing walks stencils, and after that completed a second, more focused and pin-point oils weathering will wrap it up.