Eduard 1/48 Fw 190A-8

Started by Eric Berg · 102 · 2 years ago · Eduard Fw 190A-8, Fw 190A-8
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

You are definitely right, my friend @eb801 : no experimenting is recommended now that you do not have enough paint left.
    Your 190's profile rendition is gradually becoming a mystical experience!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 8 months ago:

arrrgh.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Nice research, Eric @eb801
    The scheme 'all of them' of the Blue 4 look great.
    Wonder which one you will eventually create.

• Profile Photo

@johnb: the question is this: which profile, if any, is accurate?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 8 months ago:

@eb801 - ModelMaster acrylics were never all that good, and the line has been virtually abandoned now by the big paint company that bought it. Doing a "mix" (which is easy) with Tamiya paints is far superior. The IPMS Stockholm site has a page listing all the camouflage color mixes with Tamiya, which is what I generally use.

RLM 76 is easy - get some Tamiya XF-23 Light Blue and add in 15% XF-19 Sky Grey, add in a bit of XF-2 flat white for post-shading.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

@eb801, this I understood Eric.
    This morning I searched the web as well and found this picture, maybe you found it as well.
    Also difficult to judge how the scheme is exactly.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla - thanks for that tip. I will try it. I thought MM acrylic paints were pretty good back about 10 yrs ago until I switched to Tamiya.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - I don't think that "4" photo is the same plane. I have decided to make my life easier and follow the profile illustrated by Richard J. Canuara 2014. He did all the color profiles featured in both editions of Valiant Publishing's excellent Airframe & Miniature No. 7 modeler's reference book"Fw-190A thru S" by Richard A. Franks.

I am going to repaint the wings freehand and use some suggestions that @tcinla clued me about.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Richard J. Caruana's profiles are very well researched, so your decision is "correct", my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 7 months ago:

ALL NEW PAINT JOB
    @fiveten, @johnb, @holzhamer,@lgardner: I think I got my paint mojo back. I realized I sort of blew the camo as shown in the previous photos so I reshot the paint this time using free hand airbrush and no stencils and toned down the violet in the RLM75 grey. I followed Caruana's profiles. Thanks to TC @tcinla for prodding me along.

Next up a coat of Future and decals. The finish line is in sight now.

Hey Spiros - when did find the time to sneak that Revell Luft46 Arado out I saw over at MM? Amazing.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Looking really, really good Erik
    Freehand is perfect most German fighters camouflage, mid war onwards, and your spray is spot on

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Camo looks wonderful, my friend @eb801!

Yep, R. Caruana's renditions are "safe" choices and I fully agree with the path you have chosen.

The Arado was built in order to pair with my 1/144 Junkers G.38, as a combined "First and Last" project, more soon!

Also have quite a few well progressed or almost finished projects started in the (sometimes far) past, that I lately tend to finish.

Looking forward to your Wurger!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Perfect freehanded paintwork, Eric @eb801
    Got to know about R. Caruana via this thread and I do have to say that he does indeed create beautiful profiles.
    Looking forward to the decals.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 7 months ago:

DECALS ON!

I applied the main decals and I am very happy with them. Eduard's decal sheet dated 2019 is very good and the printing is excellent. I was surprised as I wasn't too happy with the decals in their recent Mustang kits. These pop off the sheet after about ten seconds in lukewarm water and are very opaque. No setting solution was needed. Just brushed over with water. The black looks a bit funny with streaks of what looks like grey mixed in, but it's not noticeable as you can see. The stencils are another story and tend to curl and fold, particularly the straight text lines. I'm still working on this. Next up - those stencils plus another coat of Future, some panel highlighting and more detailing.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Decals do indeed look great Eric @eb801
    The blue propellor hub looks great as well.