He-111Z-1 Zwilling, 1/48 ICM Kit

Started by Walt · 150 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Glider Tug, HE-111, ICM, Luftwaffe, Zwilling
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nice remedial action, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!
    Getting there!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Walt @luftwaffe-birdman - The carpet monster strikes again, eh? Those scratch built antennas look perfect. Looks like you've got the finish line in your sights. Hope it sits properly when all is said and done. This is quite the project.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

To me those own build antennas look perfect, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    A great save.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nice work, Walt... this one is coming along really well.

Can I ask, your highlighting using burnt umber oil paint... did you use it on the top surfaces as well as the underside? It seems to have come out really well and I'd like to try it out myself some time.

Keep up the good work... :-)..

Regards,

Paul

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 2 months ago:

I've not checked this post for awhile, you made amazing progress. Looks excellent. Very impressive model.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Paul, @paulh, I am sorry, I missed your post, I did not ignore it. Yes I did use the Burnt Umber on both the upper and lower surfaces. I use Future/Pledge Floor Wax as my clear coat. I find that oil paint not only highlights the panel lines and such, but acts like a filter to the rest of the paint. The future is not totally impenatrable to the oil paint so I think it picks up just enough to work like a filter to the paint color.

My biggest problem is I am looking for nice soft lint free wipes for removing the excess oil paint from the model. I have always used tissues and paper towels, the rubbing creates static charge and attracts the lint to the model surface. Even with a tack rag wipe, it is hard to get it all off and makes for issues when I apply the Dullcote.

I am actually almost done at this point, putting the final bits and pieces and making the base to put it on.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Walt @luftwaffe-birdman - If you’re still looking for lint free wipes, give Kimwipes by Kimtech a try. Available on Amazon of course.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks, Walt... I appreciate you coming back to me. I must give your blackwash method a try sometime. I usually make up my own blackwash but it's been a bit hit 'n' miss recently. Time will tell which one suits best.

Looking forward to seeing the end result of your build... :-).

Regards,

Paul

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Well after ten long months, it is finally done. I still need to make the base, but the plane itself is done. I can say that in general I have a great time with this build. I was fortunate enough to have a good friend, thanks Ed, who supplied me with this kit. I would recommend it to an experienced builder and while it is a pricy kit, if you build like me and take ten months to build you can break it down to about $10 a month for some excellent modelling experience.

To summarize if I had to give a rating of the kit from 1 to 10 where 1 is throw it in the trash and 10 is modeling Nirvana I would rate this between 7.5 and 8. I would rate it higher but I had a number of parts that were warped, (fuselage, canopy and wing sections) that made the kit a more challenging build then it should be. The detail and the panel engraving is exceptional and the fit is very good when not warped. Also, ICM broke parts into many multiple pieces where other companies may have had a much smaller number. I believe it lets them make future kits with different options a possibility. Luckily throughout this build the generally very good fit of parts made the complicated assemblies actually work. Let me state again the fit of this kit is generally very good, not simple and easy but very good none the less. There is very little putty on this build, because the fit is that good. The one thing I am not sure about is whether or not I like the soft plastic that ICM molds their kits in.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

She turned out amazingly, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Your skills turned this large aircraft into an excellent model.
    I do hope you can find the space to have it displayed.
    It was a pleasure to follow this thread and see the progressing of this kit.
    Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 1 month ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman
    Walt, I like the way you calculate your modeling time RoI for this kit 🙂 I also do similar calculations when the price tag is high.
    I guess the main issue for such a plane is display space, premium space in my case lol.
    I look forward to see some big pics of your model in the headlines pages soon, it really looks phenomenal. Thumbs up!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Well done, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!
    This is a truly spectacular result! You will sure need a big base for it.
    Your build thread was a joy to follow. as well
    Thanks for enriching the ever growing "Luftwaffe" GB with such a fanastic build!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 1 month ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman - Walt, this is a really really impressive result you are homing in on.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 1 month ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman: WOW! Fantastic!
    Amazed you got this to sit on your jig.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Hi, Walt... so, when are you moving to a bigger house?

That is certainly a beast of a model, but it has turned out wonderfully well. I have a 'single' ICM '111' and I agree it's a lovely kit to build. I'm tempted to buy more but that won't be anytime soon. Anyway, I hope you find somewhere suitable to display it.

Regards,

Paul