He-111Z-1 Zwilling, 1/48 ICM Kit

Started by Walt · 150 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Glider Tug, HE-111, ICM, Luftwaffe, Zwilling
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice detailed engines, Walt.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Coming along nicely, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). It should be a real beast when it is done. I hope you are clearing off some shelf space for it.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 11 months ago:

One little, Two little, Three little Engines! Finished them all up to the point where I will stop for now. I glued the air intake in on the first one. but want to make sure it fits in the nacelle before I glue all the rest on.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Still unbelievable detail on those engines, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo

Very detailed indeed, Walt.
    They will look great once finished.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, @fiveten & @johnb. I found these little mini kits to be quite enjoyable and almost Tamiya like in fit. I am still not sure about the softer plastic, but know it made the assembly of the engine and engine mounts easier. I have worked with small thin pieces of plastic that were made from more brittle Polystyrene. Well, now matter how careful I would be, with that more brittle plastic I would break at least one piece every time. The plastic in this ICM kit, offers enough flexibility to not snap, but give when trimming from the sprue.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Walt @luftwaffe-birdman: That's a lot of work you've put into those engines but they sure look great. Looks like ICM gives you a lot of bang for your buck with this monster kit. I sure hope the fit is better than those older Monogram/Revell He-111's. Is it?

• Profile Photo

As I am getting ready to paint my P-61 I do some last minute gluing and let it sit. During that time I did some building on this kit. I have to say this kit so far is just FUN! You have to be careful and pay attention or you can mess it up. The fit is great and maybe a bit fiddly here and there but patience produces some good looking and fitting parts. I glued the wheel wells and spars together, along with the bomb bay walk way and the rear fuselage flooring and bulkhead then put it in the fuselage and taped it together to hold everything in place while the glue set. It gave me a chance to test fit the fuselage and in general the fit is perfect. One fuselage half has a bit of warping up by the cockpit but nothing serious. With everything fitting so nicely and being so much fun to build I am making far more progress than I thought I would. Tomorrow though I will be back to the P-61 to start painting.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Good progress so far Walt, looking forward for what’s next

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, Walt.
    Getting together nicely.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Interior looks good, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). I have never seen one of these built up, so I am looking forward to the rest of this build.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Walt, @luftwaffe-birdman
    This looks very good ! I have started one of these 1/48 scale ICM Heinkel 111's a few years ago when I built a Monogram Heinkel 111 at the same time.

It goes together very nicely and the fit is very good. I ran into a problem with mine when I was installing the bomb bay. I didn't get it positioned in the exact spot it should have been. This mistake cascaded on down the line and caused me fit problems later on when I was installing the other exterior parts.

I would recommend installing the assembled bomb bay racks, but do not use any glue to secure them in place at this time. The fit is so good they should stay in place "as is" without glue.

Simply by leaving the bomb bay in place loosely, you can work with getting the rest of the panels lined up nicely later on.

Mine also had a setback when I accidentally spilled glue on it... However both of these problems have since been mostly worked out. Look for it to appear here soon.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking great, Walt!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Getting close to paint. The kit did not come with seat belts either molded or photo-etch. I am not a big fan of photo-etch, and having some dead soft foil I made my own seat belts, the buckles made from wire. Not perfect but better than nothing and once painted and I think will look good enough especially through the glazing. I am just not sure about the cockpit color. The directions call our for RLM 02, but I am pretty sure is should be RLM 66 Black grey. The rest of the fuselage interior and wheel wells and landing gear should be 02, but I think the callout for that in the cockpit is incorrect.

I also have started putting together some of the fight controls and other components. In general the fit is stellar!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Nice seat belts @luftwaffe-birdman!