He-111Z-1 Zwilling, 1/48 ICM Kit

Started by Walt · 150 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Glider Tug, HE-111, ICM, Luftwaffe, Zwilling
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Been busy with lots things and also distracted by the B-24 build but I started doing my oils on the Zwilling. I have been putting Burnt Umber on a Q-tip and rubbing it into the panel lines and then wiping clean with a paper towel. I actually like this method, as it fills in the panel lines nicely and also adds some tone to the overall colors. It doesn't look like much but the bottom of the plane took about two hours to do.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Looking superb, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

The outcome looks great, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Indeed a huge surface to work on.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Getting close to the end, everything is getting finalized, lots of little parts to finish up and add on like the main gear, exhaust and props. The main gear really turned out pretty nice, but not having installed them yet, I am not sure how they will fit and how strong they are. Guess I will find out this weekend. The exhaust assemble in such a way that there is very little clean up and you get a nice representation when done.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Main gear looks indeed very nice, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Let's hope that is is strong enough to carry that beauty, let it dry sufficiently is the advice.
    Exhausts look great as well.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard Bedeur said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Amazing Walt . big ! I always wondered why Heinkel decided not to join the horizontal stabilisers . There must have been an enormous amount of flex across the wing and the 2 hulls. This plane was extremely dangerous to fly. Let alone tow gliders .
    I look forward to your build !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great final steps, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman! All looking superb!
    Let's hope the gear will be strong!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 3 months ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman

Walt, been absent from visiting this built thread for some time and I am swept away by the sheer look of the painted model. It’s terrific!

Your punch and die set tool looks very good, at least judging by the great results achieved around the fuel entry stencil. What brand is it?

It’s one of those tools I should have bought looong ago, because it’s really helpful in a lot of ways.

Looking forward to see that giant on his feet 😉

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 3 months ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman

Me too. Just checked back in. The landing gear looks great. I really like how you “weatherized” the rubber oleo booties. Were they manufactured in different colors of rubber? I notice they can vary depending on plane mfg.

• Profile Photo

Thanks to all, John, @johnb, Bernard, @bernardbedeur, Spiros, @fiveten, and Pedro, @holzhamer. Well the gear have been installed, and may I say they really are well engineered. They install easily and precisely and taking your time are very structurally sound. They would be perfect for a standard He-111, and really are just fine for this kit too, but there is an issue. Even with the wing spar and the fairly precise fit of everything, the gear do have a slight issue. The center two gear are higher than the two outer gear, I had no idea and so when I put the plane down...SOB, the gear in the center don't touch. I will have to hide this fault, when I build my base so that the gear are touching. Wheels not touching is automatic disqualification for IPMS contests, not this is a contender anyways. Just one of those thing that can happen when you go from three points of contact to six spanned over such a big area.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Landing gear looks indeed very solid once installed, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman. I am sure you will figure out a way with the base to have all wheels touching the ground.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

The landing gear looks nicely detailed and sufficiently strong, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    A pity however that the center ones do not touch the surface.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 3 months ago:

I’ve been admiring all the work you’ve done @luftwaffe-birdman, maybe there’s sufficient flex in the real thing that all the wheels touched the ground.

• Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Awesome work!

• Profile Photo

I had cut off the antennas under the plane to smooth the seam. Before paint I glued them back on, but during the process of doing a wash I managed to break segments off, unfortunately some were lost to the carpet monster. I made my own, and will paint them to make them look like they belong. I am getting close to my flat coat, and getting excited.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.