Hobbycraft Bf-109E-7 Tropical

Started by Gary Brantley · 108 · 3 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Hey Gary

Nice choice of kit, Academy isn’t the most seen 109 model for ages, though I remember well when they came out. I had a C version and a E I believe (memory is kinda vague for this one) and the resemblance with the Hasegawa 109 is uncanny, but the cockpit like you mention is far better.

I am curious about your next instalment- applying the Quinta Studios stuff- you see I’m also waiting a set destined for my Ju 87 D kit that will be my first try with those, so please share with us your opinion. Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Wow, that's some amazing progress, my friend @garybrantley!
    Nice that Hobbycraft somehow copied the Verlinden cockpit set!
    Love the gear legs and the prop chipping.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Awesome detailing, Gary.
    All parts look very realistic.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Pedro! I hope to try out that Quinta stuff this week; I'll be reporting back here on how it went. πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros! I think the prop turned out okay didn't it? I am very careful in how I handle it for fear of messing up the polishing.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John! So far, so good. I have an uncanny knack for screwing up the simplest builds; I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one, lol. πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Well, a bit of progress on this one while I wait for some new GSB to fix an "uh oh" on the Tigercat. I put the Quinta Studios 3D decals on yesterday. I brushed a thin coat of PVA glue on the plastic part, as per their instructions, and then applied the decal. It only took a few seconds in warm water to remove the decal from the paper backing. I did find that one needs to work quickly as the decals tend to get very brittle as they dry. I found that out the hard way with the seat harnesses. The last one was the port shoulder belt and I had trouble feeding it through the seat back's cutout (I should've made that a wee bit wider) and in the process, it broke into three sections. I patched that all back together but when taking these pics, I saw one part of a lap belt had disappeared. I replaced that with a bit of masking tape, weathered to match. It doesn't look great but it'll do for my purposes.

I've got the three parts of the vac-formed canopy cut out but I'm not happy with the center, opening section. It was only my second experience with vac-formed canopies, having used them on my old Monogram Spitfire MkIX, nearly thirty years ago. Man, did I struggle trying to see the line to cut them from the sheet and after I mask and paint the parts, they may look like hell and I'll wind up with the kit canopy (too narrow) or try another time with more vac stuff. Wish me luck. πŸ™‚

But here are a few pics of how the Quinta decals look after application.
    The instrument panel (how long will those tiny levers last when I try to install that IP? Not long I'm afraid πŸ™

The cockpit floor showing the pilot's footpads and the seat with a missing piece of the port sisde lap belt:

And the seat after "repair":

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

That looks awesome, Gary. @garybrantley
    Seatbelts and IP is great.
    Regarding the levers, I fully recognize the breaking part. Just being to clumsy.
    Hope you can get them in without accidents.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @johnb! I hope I can install that IP without futzing it up. But, that wouldn't be the first time I've done that! πŸ˜‰ The seat needs a coat of clear flat and then I'll build up the cockpit. Both side panels will need a bit of modification in order for the IP to fit. I had to modify it in order to use the Quinta parts. And, that's the next challenge! πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Gary @garybrantley I'm enjoying following your build and it looks great so far. I was especially interested in how you got on with the Quinta 3D decals as I'd like to try some in the future. I see that the set you bought is designed for the Eduard kit so you did well to make them fit this version. I really liked the weathering on the prop blades as well. Looking forward to the rest of this build.

• Profile Photo

Thank you @chinesegeorge! Those decals did work well and I think they have some great detail. Thanks for the comment on the prop too!

Onward thru the fog! πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @garybrantley! Love the 3D decals! Your remedial action on the missing part is very good.

• Profile Photo

I appreciate that @fiveten! The lap belt repair could've been done better I think but it'll do. Even with the canopy open, it won't be too obvious down there where it's at. Man, at my age, I'm thinking I need to get on with these models and not fool around too much. Time (and the Grim Reaper πŸ™‚ ) waits for no one and I waste too much of it as it is, fooling around with one little detail or another. Even when I tell myself I won't! πŸ˜‰ Thanks so much for your comments Spiros! πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Jim Altergott said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I always like seeing models of German aircraft in the western desert. The camouflage schemes and markings are so varied and interesting. I will keep up on your progress and look forward to seeing the finished product. By the way, I have been using my trusty and reliable Paasche H single action airbrush for over 20 years and have produced, what I think, are some pretty impressive paint jobs with it. One of those models is a Bf-109E-7 in the red 8 markings of JG27.

• Profile Photo

@jaltergott6, thanks for the reply! The Model H has been the only airbrush I've used since 1988 and that venerable old workhorse is still going good. What a classic, eh!? I suspect it's changed very little since the '30s. One can achieve really good paint jobs with it; just takes some time and experience to get all the elements right. I recently tried a SOTAR airbrush that I have owned for maybe 10 years. Oh it's such a fine instrument and capable of incredible detail...in the right hands. I practiced a little with it, and then hooked the H back up. It will take a lot of practice with that SOTAR before I feel confident with it.

This was a paint job that intimidated me badly. But, in the end, the old Paasche pulled me through:

Hobby Boss 1/48 MiG-17F
    And another camo job that worried me a bit but again, the Model H came through:
    Republic F-84F Thunderstreak Monogram 1/48
    Thanks for checking in Jim!