Hobbycraft Bf-109E-7 Tropical

Started by Gary Brantley · 108 · 4 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 4 weeks ago:

Amazing job indeed, my friend @garybrantley! You start delivering miracles with your Gaahleri airbrush!
    Have a Merry Christmas!

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 4 months, 4 weeks ago:

πŸ™πŸ» Thanks, my friend Spiros @fiveten! I do appreciate those generous comments, but it will be a miracle if I don't screw up the paint before I'm done! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜„ I have to give credit to that splatter stencil; that thing makes it so much easier for painters like me. πŸ™‚ I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas as well, my friend! πŸ₯‚

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 4 weeks ago:

Very cool work on your desert 109, Gary (@garybrantley). The effect you are getting is very realistic. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 4 months, 4 weeks ago:

@gblair, Thanks, George! πŸ™πŸ» I appreciate your support and the encouragement! 😊

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Gary Brantley (@garybrantley)
    The painting looks very nice ! I like how it is not a uniform appearance. You are definitely on the right track.

Merry Christmas !

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 4 months ago:

Well my friends, I have some news to report. For all practical purposes, this bird is done, stick a fork into it! πŸ˜ƒ There is only one or two touch ups to do, and I believe I'll call it finished. When I first began this model, I was afraid of the antennae mast's connection to the canopy; it is such a small area and I worried that the glue joint wouldn't be strong enough to withstand any tension from the aerial wire. And unfortunately, my fears were confirmed. I've tried three different approaches with the same result-that mast was pulled back aft each time. Aaarrgghhh! 😑 I may try one more thing and after that, it'll just have to present without that aerial wiring! 😊

I am disappointed that much of my color modulation and fading disappeared under the glosscoat. In bright natural light, it's still apparent but not as dramatic. I need to remember that and compensate for it next time. It's not a bad finish, but somewhat "less" than I had hoped for. πŸ™‚

I have about five or six airplane models that need photographing at an airport. I'd like to take them to a neighboring small town, Rockdale, and use the airport there for the shoot. I want certain weather conditions and may have to wait a while. Currently, it's mighty cold outside and those pics will just have to wait. I did take a few hurried "tabletop pics" last evening and will show those in lieu of some airport "glamor" pics! I posed a half-painted Luftwaffe pilot next to the model for a sense of scale. Those 109s were really smaller than I had expected! πŸ˜ƒ

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months ago:

A fine looking 109, Gary @garybrantley
    What did you use for the antenna wire, the tension must be quite severe to pull off that mast.
    Although the fading is less than what you aimed for, it looks very realistic to me.
    Well done.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John @johnb! πŸ˜ƒ I really appreciate your support and encouragement. Your generous comments mean a lot to me, my friend! πŸ™πŸ» I used EZ line, or rather Uschi's version of that, at first. Then, I resorted to my old method of stretched sprue. When that sprue tightened, it was too much for that delicate glue joint.

Since I posted those pics, I gave it yet another try. And the EZ line worked this time. I realize now that I was stretching it too much in previous attempts. It sure doesn't look great now, but there is an aerial wire! After so much trouble, I won't be adding that additional piece of wiring that connects to the fuselage spine! Leave good enough alone...sage advice for a bumbler like me! πŸ˜„

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months ago:

Congratulations, my friend @garybrantley! A fabulous result, including weathering and fading! It's all there!
    Looking forward to your outdoors photo-shoot!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros! It ain't bad, but it is done! 😁 I appreciate those comments, my friend @fiveten! πŸ™πŸ»
    I'll be glad to get some proper photos soon, too. πŸ‘

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 4 months ago:

Terrific!, Gary @garybrantley. Good to see you’re back in action with this great looking Erla! You dialed in the desert colors perfectly.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Eric! What nice comments, my friend @eb801! πŸ™πŸ» She turned out okay, not quite as nice as I wanted but finished none the less! Here are some more sneak preview pics; of the starboard side, posed on top of a display cabinet:

• Profile Photo

And, here she is with her Luftwaffe companions:

And one that's never been photographed outside, an Fw-190:

The jig I used for working on the topside, after all the dangly bits were added underneath 😁:

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months ago:

Excellent pics, my friend @garybrantley! Great jig!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months ago:

Very nice pictures, Gary @garybrantley