Messerschmitt Bf109E Combo build

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 384 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109E, Hasegawa, Messerschmitt, Tamiya, Werner Schroeder
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

@eb801, thanks a lot, Eric.

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros

@gblair, thanks, George. Regarding the pictures, I can confirm the issue is not only on Apple, I do use Windows and ChromeOS and it happens there too from time to time.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks my friend @gblair! Hope you will have better luck with the pics.

• Profile Photo

The myriad of stencilling going on, one "batch" at a time...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Since Bertram's machine featured a more or less early unmottled camo, I figured it would more or less sport the complete factory applied stencils suite, so I decided to apply the fuselage station numbers (1 to 9)...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

A severe amount of stencils, Spiros @fiveten
    Must have been a nerve wracking exercise.
    They look great.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb! Yep, quite a few!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 8 months ago:

George, @gblair
    Thanks for stopping by, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who called the oxygen thing a "doo hickey" 🙂

I hope that you get the picture posting sorted out soon. I too have occasional trouble with posting a picture or two using my IPhone. It shows up as "error" and it won't load. But it doesn't seem to be as bad as what you are experiencing.

Spiros, @fiveten
    Your work is not only very fast, but it's also very good. You are a gifted builder. Not everyone can do that. Your planes are looking great, especially with the decals on. Using the station numbers is a good idea. I'll likely use them too on mine, even on Major Wicks aircraft with the mottling.

John, @johnb
    I really like your brake lines addition, and I just might have to copy it on mine ! This looks very realistic. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Erik, @airbum
    It's good to have you on board here, I will likely have to ask you a few questions along the way. This might give you a temporary break from working.

Eric, @eb801
    It's nice to have you stop by and join in on the fun. I hope to get the Ta-154 posted up soon. Thanks again for the help with the reference materials.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm limited with time tonight, so I have to keep this brief. I will try my best this weekend to properly respond to you guys. Thanks in advance.

I made some good progress on the three Tamiya 109E's. Here are some pictures.

The cockpits were finished up. The detail painting was done and decals applied. I used the kit supplied decals for the seat belt harnesses. On the E3, I used some from an old Monogram IP and seat belt decal set I had for various versions of the 109's, because none were included on the kit supplied decals like they were for the E4 version.

The offices were then glued in position and they look good enough for me, since I will close the canopies on these builds.

Next step was to glue the fuselage halves together. Once this was done, the seams were lightly sanded to take off the glue and plastic residue that squished out when I squeezed the fuselage halves together. Not much seam work was needed and so far so good. No gaps were present, the fit is exceptional here.

On a roll, I glued the wings in place. First I started by deviating just a little from the instructions, gluing the lower wing section in place first. While the glue was still wet and not fully cured, I installed the upper wing sections. This allowed me to make sure there were no gaps present anywhere during the assembly.

Chances are if there was a gap in between the fuselage and upper wing section, it would have been very small. By assembling the kit this way it allowed me to ensure that no filler would be needed, at least so far.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get more done on these 109's and possibly even work on the Bf-109G10 that Tom Bebout gave me. So please stay tuned for another installment.

As always, comments are encouraged. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Looking super, my friend @lgardner! Your approach in gluing the wings really works! I have learned this technique / trick from you in the past and used it ever since. It makes a difference, especially for less than stellar fitting kits. Thanks for all kind words, mean a lot to me.

• Profile Photo

Wing, flap and elevator stencils added (I believe they are the last ones), now the wing crosses...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Really nice progress made, Louis @lgardner
    Seems you have a very effective production line on those 109s.

• Profile Photo

Great looking, Spiros @fiveten
    Finish line approaches.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb! I thought those stencils would never end (but then, I have fully stencilled an 1/32 F-4 🙂 ).

• Profile Photo

Decaling finished...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Peter - Paul Steindl's receiving decals...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

And some stencils round the cowling...