Tamiya 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109 G-6

Started by George Williams · 23 · 2 years ago · 1/48 BF109 G-6, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I've decided to join this great group build with what is probably the best known German WW2 fighter, the iconic Messerschmitt BF109. Many examples of this plane have already been featured on iModeler, but here's my effort. I don't think I've ever built a German model aircraft before, for reasons explained later, but I chose this one as a starter firmly based on Louis Gardner's thorough and enthusiastic review here https://imodeler.com/2018/03/1-48-scale-tamiya-61117-messerschmitt-bf-109-g6-kit-review-part-1-of-2/. I'm sure this kit needs no further introduction to 109 fans, and there were some interesting comments following Louis' review, both for and against Tamiya's kit.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 10 months ago:

George, @chinesegeorge
    I am very excited to see what you have in mind. These new tool Tamiya Bf-109's have been bashed by some as being too "toy like". But I disagree with this statement. It gives you options to change out the engine cover so that you can display the DB engine that is provided. This optional engine cover is held in place by tiny magnets. Other than that it's a Tamiya.

Our friend Pedro Rocha has finished one of these, and he's also built the new tool Eduard 109's too. He can give you a fair and unbiased opinion on both. Now recently I too have taken the Eduard plunge and now I have several of their latest Bf-109, FW-190, and Spitfire MkI "overtrees" kits in the stash. If I was a faster builder, and didn't have other things going on right now, I would also be able to give you an unbiased review on this Tamiya 109... It does look lovely in the box ! and Tamiya stuff typically fits very good and has outstanding engineering to boot.

Take care my friend, I look forward to what you have to offer with this one... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

This is a great entry, my friend @chinesegeorge! I love the nice and solid Tamiya kit.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Love to see this one build, George.
    Good luck with your first 109.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

a 109? - I'm strapped in and looking forward too it! It is a very nice kit with superb details and some very nice options. Have fun!

• Profile Photo

My kit arrived safely but the box had been damaged in transit, luckily the contents have survived unscathed.

• Profile Photo

There are so many options with this kit that the instructions have to be carefully checked.

• Profile Photo

Great boxart, my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hey George, that’s one sweet kit, a true shake ‘n bake build that gives Tamiya their reputation.
    Just make sure to chose whether you want a gimmick functionality or not (And I mean the engine closed and opened) because I ended up understanding too late that if you detail your engine then you can’t remove it and use the closed parts
    Have a look at my build if you want https://imodeler.com/2019/06/tamiya-109-g-6-a-lesser-know-ace/

• Profile Photo

Thanks for all your help and advice, guys. I’ve made a start by filling in the three recesses on the RH fuselage side with some liquidised styrene, I’ll let that set properly before sanding. I also need to buy some German grey paints.

• Profile Photo

Off to a good start, my friend @chinesegeorge!
    Good use of liquefied styrene!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Indeed a good start, George.
    Well done using the LqS.
    The use of LqS is still holding me back, I definitely need to make a start on using it.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

109 AND LqS - heavenly!
    Should some parts be damaged I have some leftovers from my HA-1112 build, primarily in front of the windscreen. Just gimme a shout via PM if you need any of those.

• Profile Photo

I’ve started to pick out some of the details on the cockpit sides, but I don’t think it shows up very well in the photo.

• Profile Photo

@airbum Hi Erik, thanks for your message and your kind offer. Thankfully none of the parts seem to be damaged, but if I do find any that are I'll contact you, not sure about the postage to China though!