Vought F4U-1A Corsair (Tamiya 1/48)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 311 · 4 months ago · 1/48, Corsair, F4U-1A, Tamiya, Vought
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

This will be my entry to honor Jim.
    Yesterday my family and I were at Rotterdam and it turned out that in the city center still one of those rare modeling stores exists. Entering the store makes you feel like being in heaven. Ofcourse I could not resist to take this opportunity and grab a kit which would definitely be appreciated by Jim.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

An amazing entry, my friend @johnb! The shop looks like a Wundergarten!

• Profile Photo

Opening the box you are presented with four grey sprues and a transparant one. Also a plastic with two rings needed to get the propellor spinning. Detailing on the parts looks very good.

Decals do look very good as well.

Instructions by Tamiya are as expected, clear and detailed.
    The scheme that I aim for is the "Big Hog" flown by Tom Blacburn.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

The kit contents look awesome, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, it sure does, Spiros. Hope to start with it this coming week.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    This is an excellent choice ! You will find out this kit builds up very well. Thanks for joining the group. Welcome aboard !

The hobby shop you visited looks to be full of some very cool models too. Unfortunately for us, our closest hobby shop is almost a 2 hour drive away. Not cool...

• Profile Photo

@lgardner, thank you, Louis. Hobby shop are becoming rare. This larger one was in Rotterdam, also approximately two hours away from my hometown.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)

This is a sad reality of today's society. Brick and mortar / small time "mom and pop" shops have a hard time competing with online stores. It was almost a weekly ritual for me as a kid, going to the hobby store and spending the little bit of money I earned doing various jobs for the neighbors, and push mowing yards. Monogram and Revell kits were stocked on the shelves doe less than $3 each.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

That’s quite a well stocked hobby store, John. Something we don’t see anymore in the SF Bay Area. Have fun with your Corsair.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

This will be a great build!

• Profile Photo

@eb801, thanks, Eric. It will be an enjoyable build. I was also surprised to find this hobbystore packed full of plastic kits of all kind. Also puzzles, trains and lots of other hobbies were present.
    @gkittinger, it definitely will, Greg.

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great choice! I'll be doing the same kit for the build albeit in a different scheme than "Big Hog" have fun!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

This Tamiya kit, along with your modeling skills, will really become a stand-out, John (@johnb). I will be following for sure. I like the hobby store. My nearest brick and mortar store is an hour from here, and looks like a hole in the wall compared to your store. Having two customers in my local store would make it really crowded.

• Profile Photo

@dbutlr, thank you, David. Looking forward to yours.
    @gblair, thanks, George. A pitty those stores are becoming rare. I always loved to wander around for hours going through all those kits.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Finally made a start on this Corsair. Seperated the interior parts and glued some of them together. The detailing of this Tamiya kit is very nice.