1/48 Monogram B-29

Started by Louis Gardner · 6 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months, 1 week ago:

This is a model that I got in a trade with Jeff Bailey, herein after referred to as BFAM. Thanks Jeff !

I have started doing some work on it shortly after I got it from him. It was the original issue from the 1970's and had the decals for Thumper, Bockscar, and Enola Gay. It was a "builder quality" kit and not a collectors item. Exactly what I wanted !

The box itself was in sad shape, but hey it was almost as old as me !

I'm not pristine anymore either... just ask my wife ! Come to think about it, I don't think I was ever pristine.

I had originally planned to build this kit as part of our Korean War group. I will definitely not have it completed in time to post it in the group recap. I have several other models on the bench that will have priority for now.

The main reason why I'm posting it now, is so it can be eventually included in the group recap once it is completed.

I will be posting pictures of the progress as it goes, so please check back in from time to time.

One of the lower wing sections was snapped in half. This was fixed using a reinforcement patch on the inside of the wing. The patch will not be visible once the wings are glued together.

The wheels, bombs, and the crew tunnel were assembled too.

As were the horizontals. These are just as big as a Bf-109 wing and HUGE ! The signs of things to come.

I glued in the tail gunners position. The details are OK and will not be seen too easily when done. I could have added some details here, but decided against it for several reasons. Weight being the primary excuse, and I'll go with being a bit lazy as the second one... 😉

The crew sleeping beds and rear gunner sighting stations were added too. Chances are I will be removing the sleeping bunks. This is a location where they will not be visible when the fuselage halves are glued together. I need all the help I can get to keep this one from being a "tail sitter". So I will most likely take out the beds... and possibly the rear pressurization bulkhead and floors.

The cat walks and bomb racks were added on both fuselage halves.

The cockpit and flight engineer stations were assembled and glued in place too.

This next photo shows everything in place in the fuselage.

I have these decals, made by Kits World for Command Decision. It was a B-29 credited with 5 MiG kills. Chances are this didn't actually happen, because the B-29's were mauled by the MiG's over Korea, and likely too fast for the computerized on board gun system to successfully track as they raced past.

The MiG's would often loiter just beyond the range of the B-29's turret mounted .050 caliber MG's and 20MM tail gun, while firing at the B-29's from a distance with their larger, more powerful cannons.

There is no doubt about the number of missions that were flown by the B-29. It flew 121 missions over North Korea.

The real Command Decision initially flew over Korea in a total bare metal finish. Later on, the undersides were painted in a Black color after the B-29 crews started flying at night because of the losses they suffered...

I have to decide how I will build this one. I'm leaning towards painting the undersides Black, so it will help to hide the cracked lower wing on one side. Time will tell what happens here.

Since these photos were taken, I have painted the necessary parts Interior Green. Detail painting will be the next step.

I have also sprayed the engine cowlings with Molotow Chrome. They look really nice.

I'll try to take some more pictures soon and post up what I'm describing.

Thank you for stopping by, and as always comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

What a fantastic kit, Louis @lgardner
    Almost 90cm wingspan, incredible. Great correction on the broken wing.
    A good idea to remove the beds, it will likely need all the weight to keep the nose down.
    121 missions, an incredible amount.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Fantastic entry, my friend @lgardner! Great progress already!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Nice progress Louis, I have a 29 in the stash under the Revell trademark. One of those kits I'll probably never build.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 9 months, 1 week ago:

This will be nice looking when you’re done with it.. Korean War B-29s and some nice art work on them. I built this kit when it first came out in the 1970s… I used the Thumper nose art on it. Those Monogram bomber models were pretty impressive back in the day.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months, 1 week ago:

That’s a monster of a model, Louis. You have the hanger or tarmac space? Nice touches you’re adding.

I don’t recall seeing the preserved fuselage at Wright-Patterson when I was there about 6 years ago but that nose art is terrific.