1/48 Revell F-84E Thunderjet a tribute build to my Dad’s childhood friend who was MIA in Korea

Started by Louis Gardner · 81 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Here's my latest entry for our Korean War group build. This is a project that I have been wanting to do for years. Please follow along and I'll explain.

My Dad grew up with Mike Rebo, in a tiny little Pennsylvania town named Weedville. Sadly, my Dad's friend lost his life while flying a F-84 Thunderjet, just Southwest of Pyongyang, North Korea, on November 10th, 1951.

Mike was shot down by a Russian pilot who was flying a MiG-15, bort number 758. Ironically, Mike was of Russian descent. He and his family were fluent in speaking Russian. Rumor in this little town was that Mike would taunt the pilots, speaking Russian to them, since he knew that some of the pilots he was flying against were also Russian.

This wouldn't be confirmed until many years later. However, in 1951 this was classified information. The US Air Force didn't want this to be widely publicized...

When Mike, who was a 1st Lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force, was shot down, he was listed as MIA, or Missing in Action. After the official "Cease Fire" was signed in 1953, this was changed to MIA, presumed killed.

Only recently, Mike was repatriated, when his scant remains were handed over at the DMZ in Korea by the North Koreans. His identity was confirmed through DNA testing. He was given a military burial, with full honors.

Please follow me as I build a model of the jet that he flew that fateful day in 1951. These pictures of Mike that I have posted here, were originally posted in the hometown newspaper that served this small area of Pennsylvania. Later they were used online by an organization that remembers the many veterans who served our Country. My Dad is also mentioned here.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 9 months ago:

What a great tribute, Louis, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of this. I assume your next post will explain what may have been known about the F-84 he was flying?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

An amazing entry, my friend @lgardner! A tribute to yet another Great Man who gave his life for a higher purpose. What an interesting story!
    Looking forward to this build!

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Wow amazing Louis, so nice when you can elevate this hobby into so much more of a hobby and do something that means a lot and is sentimental to you and your family and friends. I can't wait to follow this journey.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Fantastic Louis, another emotional ride ahead my friend!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looking forward to this one, Louis.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 2 years, 9 months ago:

I'll be watching buddy, I've build that kit, posted here several years ago, and it's very nice kit. The cockpit detail is good and the parts fit was excellent. Didn't use any putty either, have to give old Monogram a hats off on this one. No wonder Revell did a re-pop of it.

• Profile Photo

Andrew, @pb_legend
    Yes I have all of the aircraft and unit information. However one thing has been eluding me, and that is a picture of the plane that Mike was shot down in. Some of the aircraft in his unit had names and the occasional nose art. So to avoid any controversy, I will simply build the plane as if it was assigned to his unit, with the appropriate markings for this, and simply omit the nose art / name quandary altogether. Then if a picture happens to surface, I can modify the model afterwards. One more thing is that on many occasions, the pilot didn't actually fly "his" assigned aircraft on each mission he flew. Instead, he flew the aircraft that was available to fly on that day... So in all honesty, we might have actually seen pictures of various aircraft the Mike "could" have flown on any given day.

Thanks for tuning in. I think you will like the next posting... 🙂

Spiros, @fiveten
    Yes this is something that I have been wanting to build for many years. At first it seemed like it wasn't going to happen. Then I started collecting various books on the air war in Korea, in hopes that I might actually find a picture of Mike or his F-84E airplane.

I had originally wanted to complete the model and give it to my Dad as a gift. Then I started thinking about this, and I decided against it. It would have been a constant reminder about losing his friend.

My Dad was also a Korean War combat veteran. In his last two weeks of his life, he finally opened up to me about some of his wartime experiences. He actually seemed quite relieved once he started talking. You could tell that he was going back to a horrible time in his life. One day after he had finished talking, I asked started asking him questions about some of his friends. Then I saw pain in his eyes and his facial expressions as he answered them, so I promised him that I wouldn't ask him any more questions about this... and I kept my word.

Freedom is not free. I have said this for many years. This is an example of it and how one man gave his life.

Anthony, @anthonyricco
    Thanks for the kind words. In the past I have made several tribute builds, and I will admit that these are the ones that seem to have the most meaning to me. For anyone else it would simply be a piece of plastic, and some people would even consider them a "toy". Please stay tuned in, as I have plans to complete this build prior to November 10th, 2021. Then I have plans to post an article about Mike in the headlines section. I have already completed the MiG-15 model. Ironically, many years ago when I purchased the aftermarket MiG-15 decal sheet, I didn't have a clue that one of the decal options was actually for the MiG that shot him down... This build has been posted in the headlines section and was part of the MiG group build that happened a few years ago. There was also an accompanying build journal for the group of 4 MiG-15's that I built assembly line style.

Paul, @yellow10
    Yes this story needs to be told. Thank you for checking in and for following this build journal.

John, @j-healy
    Thanks my friend ! I am looking forward to it just as much ... I have a deadline set for completion prior to November 10th. Please stay tuned, as I have made some progress. I will post up some pictures of the build next...

• Profile Photo

Here is the information about the unit Mike Rebo flew with, and also the serial number and type of aircraft that he was shot down in. He was flying in the 49th Fighter Bomber Group, 9th Fighter Bomber Squadron. Aircraft of the 9th FBS had alternating red and white diagonal chevron stripes painted on the tail as well as the outer wing tanks on occasion. This is a picture of a F-84E that was on Wikipedia. This is an aircraft from the same unit that Mike flew in. His plane would have been marked similarly. This unit was called the "Iron Knights"

The aircraft in which he was killed in was a F-84E-30RE. It was serial number 51-549. This means the plane would have had the numbers FS-549 on each side of the nose. It could possibly have had a large capital letter "A", "B" or even a "C" following the "FS-549" nose number, but at this point in the War, I would venture to say it was not as likely to be present. This additional lettering was done to denote the second or thirs aircraft within the unit with the same last three digits of the serial number.

Since I don't have a picture of his plane, I can't state this with absolute proof.

This aircraft Mike was flying was shot down by a Russian fighter pilot who was also an "Ace", named Pavel S. Milaushkin, who was flying as part of the 176 GIAP. Here is a link to the model I built of the MiG 15.

Sadly, Mike Rebo is recorded as one of the small red stars on the side of the fuselage of this MiG.

MiG Group Build : 1/48 Tamiya MiG-15 bis, Captain Pavel Milauszkin, 176 IAP / 324th IAD, Korea 1952.
    I have two of these Revell 1/48 scale kits. One is marked as a F-84E, and the other one is marketed as a F-84G. The parts inside the boxes appear to be the same. I am also considering building both of these kits now, and simply building the second one with markings from the sister unit. The main difference is that Mike’s aircraft will have red and white chevrons on the vertical fin / rudder, and the other plane will have either black and yellow, or white and blue chevrons. I can also use the second style of canopy if in fact I do end up building these models. I can also build up the second kit marked as this exact plane, since this is an option in one of these models. This happens to be the unit's Commander. His chevron stripes are red, yellow, and blue. This covers the stripes from all three Fighter Bomber Squadrons. I also have a 1/48 scale Tamiya F-84 and I just might have to build it up too. Over the last few days I have been working on gluing together the parts that I can before I start with the painting. Here are some pictures of the assembly work I have completed so far. I have been building the Revell F-84E, and I must say the fit and finish of the plastic parts have been VERY good. Here you can see the wings and fuselage parts. The details are quite nice inside the wing, and once the parts have been glued in position, it looks like this. The various ordnance items, drop tanks and such have been built. They have also included a pilot figure that is designed to be posed standing next to the model, and not seated in the cockpit as most are. I am not good with painting figures. However, I just might have to make an attempt with this one. This is as far as I wanted to go with assembling the cockpit. These parts are all supposed to be painted using "Interior Green". The head rest on the seat is going to be painted black, as is the hand grip on the joy stick. This is an accumulation of five separate parts. This assembly is installed under the sliding portion of the canopy, and gets painted flat black. These cockpit sidewalls also get painted Flat Black, as does the instrument panel. The IP is nicely detailed right out of the box. This is a quality kit. This next photo shows the assorted cockpit pieces, and how I stopped assembling them in order to make things a lot easier with the painting. One last thing. 1st Lieutenant Michael Rebo's last radio transmission went something like this: "I'm hit ! I'm hit ! I'm wounded and I can't control the plane ! ". Like I stated in a previous reply to Spiros, Freedom is NOT free. As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.
  • Profile Photo

Tom, @tom-bebout
    Hey buddy, I just noticed that you had left a comment. It must have happened as I was typing up the last entry of the journal.

Your comments about building this kit are spot on...It's been a dream so far, and I'm VERY tempted to go ahead and pull the trigger on building the second kit I have.

Yes, I too can see why Revell wanted to re pop this one... It's that good !

My hat's definitely off to the designers / engineers at Monogram. Just think how good they could have been in today's "modern" world with computers and CAD programs...

Maybe the next time you head down to Wright Pat, maybe I could sweet talk you into taking some pictures of the F-84, F-86, and possibly the MiG-15 they have ? 😉 Not that you need an excuse or anything to head back there... 😉

Take care buddy and stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 9 months ago:

@lgardner, Louis, I love this project of yours. I think you know how I feel about the men and women who made our freedom possible. As a teacher, I made sure my students understood that all they held dear and enjoyed in their lives was due to their efforts and I encouraged them to seek out veterans to thank them for that.

Coincidentally, I've built the MiG-15 flown by Capt,. Milauskin too. Thanks for making the connection to your tribute model for me.

Monogram MiG-15 Korean War Ace
    And, I recall your kind comments when I built my own Korean War "tribute" for my late father-in-law:
    A tribute to my Father-in-Law Republic F-84E Thunderjet, Korea 1952
    I'm looking forward to seeing your model progress! Warmest regards, Gary
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Louis @lgardner, I know how much this build means to you and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this progresses, I'm sure you will make a fantastic job of it (as always).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looks like you are off to a great start, my friend @lgardner!
    I love the Monogram kit looks.
    1st Lieutenant Michael Rebo’s last radio transmission was moving...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Nice to see this project get started Louis. The passion you have for these particular builds with a personal link to them are quite apparent. You chose a nice kit which have been known to be a bit better than the Tamiya F-84. Monogram really did a great job in the engineering of this kit not only in their high standard of details, but the ease of assembly is welcomed by many who have built this kit. Your off to a good start. Will keep following this one as you progress.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Definitely looking forward to more progress. As a matter of chance I'm working on a Kinetic F-84f, and it has caused me to wonder about a Promodeller F-84 I have still wrapped. It's very interesting to see the revell kits have a similar construction thus far as the 'Streak.