Color quandary

Started by Cricket · 16 · 7 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

@jagmkx @eb801 @j-healy @faraomike @pb_legend @eb8010 @eb8011 @eb8012 @eb8013 @eb8014 @eb8010 @eb8011 @eb8012 @eb8013 @eb8014

Okay so it got this 1/6th Kawasaki it’s an older kit but appears to be in decent shape. Had my eye on it for awhile but all the tires were bad. Finally found a good one 🙂

The instructions (in Japanese 🙁 ) call for a dark royal red which isn’t made by Tamiya, so i bought Tamiya Maroon and metallic red. The other Kawasaki 1/6th I did was Metallic red

but the box art on this one shows it much deeper red

I took a piece of white plastic and sprayed both sides with gloss black then metallic red on one side and maroon on the other, laid out it on the box. The photos dont show the colors quite right and as Much as I love the metallic color the maroon appears to be the closet match….here are some photos but they don’t accurately show he differences well. So here they are anyway…any input?

Pic 1

Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4
    Pic 5

All under different light :). Really hard to tell from the photos

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Pic 2 and Pic 5 look close to me, Cricket (@bikequeen). It is always hard to accurately judge colors online, but these look close.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

@gblair thats funny George as the ones you picked are 2 different colors 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

I'm sure it's the light, Cricket (@bikequeen). That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi Cricket @bikequeen, it’s no good asking me as I’m colour blind. Just go for the one you like best.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

1,2, and 5 look close to me.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Found a some net pics of a "low milage" used one, my friend @bikequeen...

http://suprememotos.com/kawasaki/168146-low-miles-1980-kawasaki-kz1300-b2-touring-one-fatherson-owner-from-new-kz1300b.html
    Carrying the original color, it gives a good idea of how this "red" looks like.
    I lean between 1,2 and 5, would probably choose 1

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Same here, Cricket @bikequeen
    1, 2 and 5 do look closest, not sure if those are the Maroon ones. And yes, surrounding light, different color of the light, all has so much impact on how it looks.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

@johnb @fiveten @j-healy @gblair @chinesegeorge Thanks guys, I figured the pics would be useless but through them out there anyway. Maroon it is :). The metallic red albeit a great color is way to bright for this bike. Spiros I also did a search and found some nice examples one guy built this kit in bright red and it was just wrong 🙁

Even the color on the caps can be deceiving….so maroon it is and you can probably guess what my next build will be : )

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

By looking at the two above, I would definitely go for the maroon as well, my friend @bikequeen! Looking forward to your KZ!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

@bikequeen - I agree, the Maroon looks the best.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Yep, Maroon looks like the way to go, Cricket (@bikequeen).

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

@gblair @brithebuilder @fiveten @johnb @j-healy @chinesegeorge

Yep Maroon works 🙂

Will start a new thread soon 🙂

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

The Maroon color looks perfect, Cricket @bikequeen
    Looking forward to the new topic.

• Profile Photo

Yes, the maroon is excellent, my friend @bikequeen!