Excelsior-Henderson Super X 1:8 Scratch Build

Started by Matt Minnichsoffer · 102 · 7 months ago · 1/8, Excelsior-Henderson, motorcycle, Scratch Build, Super X
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Unbelievable! Excellent

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Well Gang it's been awhile since I've let you in on my progress. Mainly because I've spent the last month working on a pretty big build for a local show. Secondly, I've been working on the fuel tank. Building this part in 3D was a real bugger. The software I'm using doesn't have a lot of tools to make organic space like teardrop gas tanks.

Constantly learning as I go, and many false starts I got it built. I also completed the instrument cluster. Both of these components were pretty unique to the Super X. With no further ado—the Super X has a tank!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

That tank looks amazing, Matt @coondog

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looks awesome, my friend @coondog!

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Looking back I see it's been three weeks since I posted a progress report so here we go. I've been creeping ever closer to the finish line on the pre-build. I spent a few days figuring out how to build the barrel springs for the front end and tightening up fitment of all the front end parts. This included rendering the handlebars and handgrip assemblies.

I'm especially proud of the springs. Creating a straight spring in 3D CAD is pretty simple, but as most things with the Super X the springs weren't common, they were barrel springs. This helped with spring stability and also added to the unique aesthetic. I won't bore everyone with the "how" I did it, but I DID IT!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

@coondog - Wow! Amazing work Matt!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Fantastic job so far, my friend @coondog! These springs look AWESOME!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Very nice progress, MAtt @coondog
    Especially those springs look amazing.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Well Gang, what began in April has finally reached the point of production. The render is complete! This weekend I'm get together with my 3D printing guru friends and start to turn this labor of love into actual parts. Other than this log I have not kept a record of the hours involved to build this beast, but that's on purpose. Why would we track time on passions? I know that every part will not magically print perfectly and I'm far from the finish line, but the fun keeps coming. Here are some final renders.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

This is awesome, my friend @coondog! A labor of love that I bet you cannot wait to see her 3D printed!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Looks amazing, Matt @coondog
    I fully understand your eagerness to have it printed in various parts, looking forward to it as well.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Matt Minnichsoffer (@coondog)
    This is absolutely incredible... I wouldn't even know where to begin with a project like this. My hat's off to you Sir !

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks my friend. This is becoming a real model. I’m so jazzed

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Matt Minnichsoffer (@coondog)
    I would be jazzed too ! This is an amazing accomplishment. Something to be very proud of.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 1 week ago:

This is a really cool project, Matt (@coondog), and a great showcase for your 3D design skills. I am really looking forward to the rest of the project. I am completely wowed by your design skills. I am designing simple stuff in TinkerCad, but this is really next level stuff. Well done.