George’s motorcycles - 2023

Started by George Williams · 121 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great job George. Your photos make it look like the real thing! Maybe the fairing won't fit because the paint is too thick...LOL.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great choice on the red, George @chinesegeorge
    Progressing nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 3 months ago:

It's looking fantastic @chinesegeorge... I'm looking forward to hearing why the cowling was a challenge...

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Good morning everyone, @brithebuilder, @anthonyricco, @gblair, @rory, @bikequeen, @johnb, @fiveten, @en801. Thanks for looking and your kind comments, why didn’t the front cowling fit?

Because I fitted the headlamp assembly on upside down!

I don’t know how I did that, it seemed to fit in place OK, but after studying the instructions more carefully I realised what I’d done.

Luckily it was easily removed and the cowling and light assembly are a push fit.

I’m hoping it will line up OK when I fit the side cowlings. Here are a couple more photos:

As well as the racing stand (which I’ve yet to fix the wheels to) there’s also a side kick stand:

That’s all for now, side cowlings next, thanks again for looking, and, as always, happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great that the source of the problem was found, my friend @chinesegeorge! Looking super!

• Profile Photo

A good thing you went through the instructions again and tackled the problem before harm was done, George @chinesegeorge
    Looking really great

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 3 months ago:

I can't believe how real it looks! Well done George.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@chinesegeorge great save George! I cant tell you how many times I have done stuff like that…glad it was an easy fix

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@chinesegeorge, I actually laughed out loud when I read what the issue had been George. The feeling of the exact same thing happening to me on may builds came flooding back. So great actually. No matter what, I'm happy you found the problem without needing to hurt the model in any way. Your progress is looking fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Happens all the time to me too, George @chinesegeorge. At least it was a painless quick fix thanks to Tamiya’s clever engineering. Looking terrific.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Good afternoon, @brithebuilder, @anthonyricco, @gblair, @rory, @bikequeen, @johnb, @fiveten, eb801, thanks to everyone for your kind comments, the nose cone/headlight assembly seems to fit OK now.

So on to the side cowlings, first black on the insides, then a coat of pink as a primer, and a top coat of Tamiya’s Pure Red, all from the rattle cans:

The Pure Red is somewhere between Bright Red and our old favourite Italian Red. On their website says it’s ideal for modern sports cars such as Ferraris, which is weird as Tamiya have deleted all their Ferrari models.

Anyway, I’ll give it a day or so to really harden up before applying the transfers, of which there are quite a few.

As ever, thanks for looking and commenting, it’s much appreciated, and happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

This red looks really nice, my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

The process going from black to pink to red results in a very nice finish, George (@chinesegeorge). It is amazing you can get such a shiny finish from rattle cans without getting pooling or "runs" in the paint. I use rattle cans all the time and usually manage to get some runs. I usually discover them after the paint has dried. Well done.

• Profile Photo

Great result on the red, George @chinesegeorge
    Your approach by first going to pink prior to the red worked great.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Hey mate, progress is looking good on the ducati!
    I’ve just bought the carbon fibre decals for this kit, and also the fireblade sp. So I’d best buy the kits!
    Have you started the HP4 yet? I’m about half way through my one, I’m building it out in Barcelona.