Honda CB1100 R

Started by Cricket · 43 · 1 year ago · 1/6th, Honda, Honda CB1100 R, motorcycle, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Okay, you guys win, it was a toss up between this Honda 1100, or the Honda Africa Twin, both 1/6th or the 1/12th Ferrari F190 (yes I build F-1 cars too :)) all Tamiya of course.

Here lies my dilemma …. I love the color scheme red on white and the decals are top notch “Cartograf” decals which I have used with Tamiya kits before and they ROCK! Italian company that makes kick a*s decals.

However, as you can see the decal are very large and I dont have very good luck with large decals even Cartograf. So I am going to take things to the next level and mask off the white parts, which I have already painted and paint the red on as there are enough decals on the sheet that all I need are the badges. I’m not that great of a painter and all my spraying is done with Tamiya rattle cans.

I started with the tank, glued it and try as I may I still couldn’t get the seams to line up 100%, so after hours of filing and sanding the seams came out ok. (I hate that part with this big models) Stopped raining long enough to paint them and the front “Mud guard” ;). Tamiya Pure White and Tamiya Bright Red.

Oh yeah and the instructions are in Japanese and while my phone will translate, it still slows things down

I will see how i do masking the parts off tomorrow and if all goes well I will paint the red….fingers crossed….stayed tuned…same Bat Time…Same Bat Channel 🙂

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Those transfers (decals) do look a bit tricky, Cricket @bikequeen, but I’m sure you’ll pull it off, good luck with the masking and spraying.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great start, my friend @bikequeen! Looking forward to see your painting!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great choice on the Honda, Cricket @bikequeen
    The Africa Twin can always be build another time 😃
    I think choosing to paint the red areas is the best way forward indeed.
    Looking forward to this one.

• Profile Photo

Masked and painted the seat “fairing” for lack of better term

Started with regular tape to make the circles as need for tight curves

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Next I added Tamiya Flexible Masking tape, had it awhile but never used it, it worked GREAT, it’s whit so hard to see i the photos

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Finally I masked everything else off, shot a couple coats of clear on it to prevent bleed in spats the tape didn't stick well and shot it with Tamiya Bright Red spray

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And the final result….not 100% and a tiny bleed at the one bottom screw! YAY! Ive never done this so I’m happy :). Now to do the front fairing and tank 🙂

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Superb result, Cricket @bikequeen
    This paintwork is looking way better than what you could have achieved with the decals.

• Profile Photo

@johnb thanks John, got them all done….need some touch up, not perfect but better than I could have done with the decals

• Profile Photo

All “body” parts are painted, need some touch up in places, but I’m resonantly happy with the results … now If I can keep my hands off them until tomorrow i can apply the smaller easier to manage decals

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

You did a great painting job, my friend @bikequeen!

• Profile Photo

Also the last body parts look great to me, Cricket @bikequeen

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @johnb thanks guys. It’s not perfect but I feel it’s better than I would have been with the decals….some touch up and ready to go. Frame and engine will be next

• Profile Photo

Frame Done, Test fit and color comparison

Frame is Tamiya Italian Red, body Tamiya Bright Red over Tamiya Pure White.

Didn’t call for that but I thought it would be a nice contrast , I like it 🙂