Kawasaki KZ1300 B Touring

Started by Cricket · 134 · 6 months ago · 1/6th, Kawasaki KZ1300 B Touring, motorcycle, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

@gblair. I think it kinda looks like it has been under water for years ; ). Thanks George! I’m OCD anyway i guess this proves it 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

What a shame you made her worn so much. Nevertheless, your work is very good. I'm waiting for the finish.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Perfectly weathered, Cricket @bikequeen
    Maybe I missed in the thread, but how did you create the rusty effect.

• Profile Photo

@faromike I did a prefect paint job on it but the decals fell apart when I applied them, I was crushed…it was then suggest that I weather it. Never having done it I figure what the heck I got nothing to loose as it’s already ruined 🙂

• Profile Photo

@johnb and anyone else interested 🙂
    First I’m surprise you guys are asking me! You're the expert modelers…this is my first time out 🙂

I painted every thing….perfectly I might add…the decal were horrible so it was suggested i weather it. Clueless on how to do it I remembered a pastel technique from another group long long ago. I’ll. Get to that in a minute.

I dulled everything down with flat clear, including the chrome. The flat clear melted some of the bad decals more which is fine as they were ruined anyway.

I used pastels at first but they wipe off when dried. I took a paint brush and cut the c**p out of it. I used Testors Model Master Acrylic “Rust” dipped it in the paint and just “poked” (stipple) it all over the model. It looks awful until it dries and of course it’s all one color.

Pastel technique, it dries i take a toothbrush moistened a bit drag it over the pastels (I have gray pastels light grey to black and some dark yellow to rust brown)

When the toothbrush has picked up enough pigment I “flick” it all over and it splatters on the model. I’ve had these pastels for years and years but never used them 🙂

That pretty much it, the pastels tone down the solid rust color. When I do the other side I’m going to try paint thinner instead of water with pastels

It should be noted that im sure the real side bags and cowlings are fiberglass and wouldn’t rust 🙂

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

@bikequeen - Absolutely Fantastic! Looks like you're having a lot of fun Cricket and the weathering really looks great. The details everywhere are a lot of fun. I love the battery acid corrosion. Just great.
    I use pastels as a final weathering pass on a lot of stuff and don't bother setting it. The model never gets handled, so it never seems to matter.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Fantastic weathering, my friend @bikequeen!

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder thank you Brian i didn't think the battery corrosion would be good but it looks great in the photo….you can almost smell it 🙂

Yes I will add a final coat of pastels when it’s done…no point in doing it now

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Thansk once again Spiros! None of this could have happened without all your encouragement 🙂

• Profile Photo

Your skills are at a very high level as well, Cricket @bikequeen
    Defintiely better than mine.
    I was indeed looking for the materials and colors you used for the rust colors.
    Thanks for sharing. I will use it to my advantage as well.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Your weathering continues to amaze, Cricket (@bikequeen). You should give a clinic in your techniques. Like you said, it is so realistic that you can almost smell the decay.

• Profile Photo

@johnb @gblair thank you both for your comments! I got the fuel tank on and the front seat then got called to a brush fire as we were leaving the scene we got called to yet another brush fire ….. so the work got put on hold ….. and i can also weather my hands 🙂

Oh and I got promoted to Lieutenant Thursday night….only took 5 years ; )

Off to bed with me…..I smell smoke … LOL

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Congratulations with your promotion, Cricket @bikequeen
    Very realistic weathering on your hands, hopefully noone got hurt with these brush fires.

• Profile Photo

@johnb the promotion was just to shut me up, there have been 5 promotion since I have been on Dept all with less seniority than me….so they gave it to me so i would stop whining :). Squeaky wheel and all ….LOL. This is an agricultural area so no injuries it’s very dry and doesnt take much to set a field on fire.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Congratulations, Lieutenant Cricket @bikequeen, what rank were you before? Now you’ve had Halloween, and put out all those fires, maybe you’ll have time to finish off this Kawasaki. Just leaving it outside for a while would add some realistic weathering effects, ha ha, just joking. It’s snowing here in case you’re interested, the kids are happy because the schools will be closed tomorrow.