REPSOL Honda RC213V - WIP

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 204 · 11 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 12 months ago:

Your detail work is fantastic, @brithebuilder, and the different colours reflect the high tech materials used in modern racing machines.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 12 months ago:

Looking super indeed, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 12 months ago:

Great work on the damper and chain, Brian @brithebuilder

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 12 months ago:

Great detailing @brithebuilder. Going to be a stunning model. Looking forward to more progress.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 12 months ago:

@brithebuilder STUNNING! Love the “tiny parts “ 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 12 months ago:

@chinesegeorge, @fiveten, @johnb, @rory, @bikequeen - Thank you all! Your comments are very much appreciated!

I think the paint on the frame and swing arm is actually ready to be handles without leaving any fingerprints. Looks like tomorrow is going to bring some serious detailing to the swing arm!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 12 months ago:

Looking forward to it, @brithebuilder.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 12 months ago:

Looking forward to it, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 12 months ago:

Eagerly waiting for those details, Brian @brithebuilder

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 12 months ago:

Looking great Brian @brithebuilder. I love the detail in the Tamiya kits and your added work will surely make it look stunning!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months, 4 weeks ago:

OK, so Wednesday was a challenging day. I found that the metallic from Rust Oleum was getting nasty fingerprints even after 2 days of sitting/curing/drying so I decided to strip the paint and look for the Tamiya paints. My normal hobby shop won't have them until next week so I found a different store about a half hour away that carried Tamiya. They only had the TS 30 in stock, so at least 1 down. I still needed TS 83... I went to a craft store that claimed to carry Tamiya spray paints, they did not, so I picked up a spray from Testors with the same name, metallic silver.

As I was stripping off the old metallic I inadvertently knocked off a small piece of PE from the frame and it was lost forever. I had to use the cutout where the piece came from and hand cut a new piece of PE. It's really close to the original minus an opening. I'm hopeful that it's close enough to the 'real' part that any future attachments will work out. In that whole process I also broke off a small hangar from the rear of the frame. It's glued back on, and also hopefully in the correct location.

My success for the day was the addition to half of the PE parts to the swing arm.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 4 weeks ago:

Pity your metallic did not cure, my friend @brithebuilder 🙁
    The Tamiya will work great and I hope the same for the Testors can.
    Great save on the PE!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 11 months, 4 weeks ago:

I hope it all works out all right, @brithebuilder, I never mix paints from other makes, if you do you’re on your own, you have no one to blame.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months, 4 weeks ago:

@fiveten, @chinesegeorge - I'm not overly concerned about the Testors along with the Tamiya paints, they are both made for models. It was only unfortunate that I lost a bit of the PE while removing the rust oleum metallic. I've used plenty of other rust oleum spray paints, it seems that it's only the metallics that don't work as well. I pretty much always use Tamiya paints along with Citadel and Vallejo on the same builds. You just can't literally mix them together. Tamiya paints are a special breed... not the same type of acrylic as every other manufacturer. They layer fine though. Anyway, on to more PE on the swing arm before hitting it with the Testors metallic silver and then layering on the black.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 4 weeks ago:

Six pieces of PE for a nut, that's amazing, Brian @brithebuilder
    Excellent work on that one.
    A pity about the paint and the lost PE part, for sure the scratch build piece will work fine.